Kernels with 4.0.4 update?

tdelet

Reaction score
I updated my rooted stock Nexus to 4.0.4 last week. All's good. But now I'm wondering about changing the kernel for (hopefully) better battery life.

Do I have to wait for 4.0.4 compatible kernels? Will any 4.0.3 kernel work?

Going from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4...what actually got updated? Did the kernel get updated in that process or just some of the stock apps?

Thanks.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Most (all?) 4.0.3 kernels should work with 4.0.4 .

I am not sure if there is an official changelog, but from a 4.0.4 ROM download
  • Noticeably Faster
  • Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
  • Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
  • New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don't even notice it changing.
  • Improved signal strength
  • New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
  • PRIMELA03 Bootloader
  • Faster boot up time
  • Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
  • Holding down camera button now refocuses again
  • Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
  • Autorotate is faster
  • Browser performance noticeably improved
  • Recent apps list opens faster
  • Miscellaneous camera UI changes
  • Increased volume
  • Keyboard fixes
  • Updated News & Weather app UI
  • Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here
^ from 4.0.4 Unofficial Changelog *Update2 02/05* - xda-developers

bluefire7002

Reaction score
^^ do you know of a good kernel to run (for performance and battery life) with a stock 4.0.4 ROM?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ do you know of a good kernel to run (for performance and battery life) with a stock 4.0.4 ROM?

That's entirely dependent on your phone. Every phone reacts differently. Some have had success with Franco's kernel, Faux's kernel, and lean kernel. I recommend you download 1 (or several) and give it a couple of days to see how your phone reacts. It's never fair to judge a kernel without at least 48 hours usage.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Indeed, unfortunately kernels are very dependent on your device, ROM, and your usage patterns. So it is impossible to say what is the best. I try and flash as many different kernels as I have time to try. Also some of the developers make pretty radical changes between versions of their kernels, so say I didn't have a good experience on version 8, version 9 could be much better.

There are a lot of different kernels out there. Lean, Franco and Faux may be some of the more popular ones, but Apex, Glados, OhHeyItsLou, Codename and many other kernels exist and have their fans. Another thing to consider is different kernels have different features present. Like different slots to underclock/overclock, different governors, color control options, undervolting, different networking options and some other things. Do you want color control? If so, find a kernel that offers that ability. Do you want to hotplug, or use some of it's offspring (like hotplugx, conservativex, interactivex, performancex on Lean Kernel)? If so find a kernel that offers that.

If you are after stability you may want to stay away from experimental or beta kernels and features. Overclocking (and underclocking below 350MHz), undervolting, and hotplugging can all potentially cause problems even if for the most part they can be stable.

I, or someone on these forums, can help with specific questions. But the best kernel for you is going to be subjective to your device, setup and usage pattern

bluefire7002

Reaction score
Indeed, unfortunately kernels are very dependent on your device, ROM, and your usage patterns. So it is impossible to say what is the best. I try and flash as many different kernels as I have time to try. Also some of the developers make pretty radical changes between versions of their kernels, so say I didn't have a good experience on version 8, version 9 could be much better.

There are a lot of different kernels out there. Lean, Franco and Faux may be some of the more popular ones, but Apex, Glados, OhHeyItsLou, Codename and many other kernels exist and have their fans. Another thing to consider is different kernels have different features present. Like different slots to underclock/overclock, different governors, color control options, undervolting, different networking options and some other things. Do you want color control? If so, find a kernel that offers that ability. Do you want to hotplug, or use some of it's offspring (like hotplugx, conservativex, interactivex, performancex on Lean Kernel)? If so find a kernel that offers that.

If you are after stability you may want to stay away from experimental or beta kernels and features. Overclocking (and underclocking below 350MHz), undervolting, and hotplugging can all potentially cause problems even if for the most part they can be stable.

I, or someone on these forums, can help with specific questions. But the best kernel for you is going to be subjective to your device, setup and usage pattern

Thanks man appreciate it... and not trying to hijack OPs thread but yea just he pretty much asked the same question I was thinking...
But yea im actually running the stock 4.0.4 ROM and just going to start looking around to see what Kernels provide better battery life...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Thanks man appreciate it... and not trying to hijack OPs thread but yea just he pretty much asked the same question I was thinking...
But yea im actually running the stock 4.0.4 ROM and just going to start looking around to see what Kernels provide better battery life...

No problem. If you do have any questions, I am sure someone here, or myself can help out.