3G Outage

bpickartz

Reaction score
All DSL, Cell, Hardwire phones out in Franklin, NC. Can dial/receive local calls only. Can't get through to service 877 or 800. Arrrggghhh. No data service on cell, showing extended service area.

AUturf

Reaction score
no 3g

No 3G in Auburn. Been out since I woke up this morning around 6.

bpickartz

Reaction score
This is really quiet on the Internet. No news or other blog posts. Probably because most people effected by it can't get to the Internet?

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
No 3G in Auburn. Been out since I woke up this morning around 6.

Hey another guy close by, not bad. I just called and explained my 3G was out and they had to call me on my house phone to make sure it wasn't a phone issue, even though I ensured them it wasn't a phone issue. Anyway the technical support checked my phone and said the "switch" my network is on is coming from Dothan, AL and that the "switch" in that area is down. They were alerted this by some caller near the area and have had very few calls since then. I was one of the few callers that reported it, I asked if more people calling would help get the situation moving faster and she said no I don't think so, we are aware of the issue now. I asked her for an estimated time it will be back up and she stated that at this time they do not know what is causing the issue, so there is no ETA on when it will be back up.

I also asked about you guys in ATL - she said it is possible that people in Atlanta, GA are on the same "switch" as we are in Auburn / Opelika / Phenix City / Dothan, and that would cause your network to be down as well.

I have no idea what this switch is or why it affects such a large area. I don't really care to look it up either, I'm just interested in getting my 3G back so I can turn off my WiFi and send picture messages...

This is really quiet on the Internet. No news or other blog posts. Probably because most people effected by it can't get to the Internet?

I told the Verizon tech support on the phone that I wanted to know of other ways to report this issue, because I attempted to post on their forums on the website, and she no useful reply because she couldn't think of anything else. I asked her if she could tell me why the forums explain "how to post a new message" but the posting of a new message button was disabled (Greyed out) on my browser and she also didn't know. Since this wasn't the main reason I called, I told her not to worry about it.

To call, after dialing *611 like someone said earlier, first type "2" then "0" to be connected to the operator. The previously stated "1" then "0" attempts to take me to menu "1" first, which has no operator option after wards. "1" option will attempt to pay a bill or alert Verizon of an incoming payment. So I pressed "*" to go back to main menu and repeat "2" then "0" and was connected with a Verizon rep within 15 seconds. The first person put me on hold for no more than 30 seconds before I was transferred to a tech support. Must not be real busy :)

Sherry

Reaction score
Okay that was just freaky this morning - I am also in Franklin NC and had no cell, landline, nor DSL. When I dialled *611 I got US Cellular and they gave me verizon's 800 #. I was on the phone for an hour with the wireless folks. Amazingly enough I was the only one that could call on my phone, my husband's cell wouldn't dial out. All of a sudden everything just popped back in. Has anyone heard why?

bpickartz

Reaction score
Some people in Franklin got calls saying 911 was down and to go to the nearest fire station or hospital in case of an emergency. I talked to Verizon tech support after it came back on (about 9:30) and they didn't know anything about it. Local news announced when it came back on in two western counties (Swain/Macon). Swain issued a notice that it was back up. However, the lack of tweets, FB, blog, and news entries is really amazing.

Sherry

Reaction score
Got 2 phone calls from Verizon making sure everything was up and running after it was over but no real explanation. Also got a blast reverse 911 call say there was massive phone outages.