3G Not Working

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Maybe but there seems to be a problem seating the sim cards properly. I would try that first.

landale

Reaction score
Over on XDA someone reported back that this worked for them:

I rooted my T.bolt, and lost data. I'm in a 3G area, no 4G.

So called Verizon and they had me dial ##778.
-Click edit
-type 000000
-Then under modem settings
-I changed Rev. A to "enable" rather than EPST
-Then rebooted the phone, and data worked again!?!

S0Eric

Reaction score
It appears that there are a few issues being discussed here, but a number of people described enough details to make me think a few of us are having the exact same issue.

This is my guess as to the significant factors that identify the issue my wife and I had:
1) Data works fine for about a day. We don't have LTE here yet, but 3G was reliable.
2) After connecting to wi-fi at home and turning it off, 3G/4G data never reconnected.
3) Battery removal, reset, settings manipulation doesn't fix it.
4) After turning on the "Mobile Network" option on the "Wireless & networks" settings page, the text under that option briefly shows "Turning on..." and then either hangs there (greyed out), shows "Use phone for data connection when Wi-Fi is unavailable", or flickers between the two.
5) A hard reset fixes the issue.

Another person posted ealier that he and his wife had the same symptoms, and a few others, so this obviously isn't a fluke or defective device.

Doing a reset after only one day isn't a disaster, but very annoying since my wife and I both spent a lot of time that first day customizing it. It'll be a few months before I stop worrying that it might happen again.

Fastlain

Reaction score
thanks.. tried that.. but no luck... my phone is in stock trim - not rooted..

Fastlain

Reaction score
ok, I'm trying the factory reset.. it wouldn't reset using the power / volume down button, (hope I never need that) but there is a option in settings... frustrating b/c I too spent hours setting this up... and hours this morn monkeying with it..it is rebooting now... Thanks for the posts guys... TBC..

Fastlain

Reaction score
factory reset worked... 3g instantly... i too am going to be cautious about spending a bunch of time customizing this thing until I feel comfortable it wont do it again! thanks for the help!

SoFL

Reaction score
No data access fixed with hard reset

Just throwing one more data point out there for y'all. Got my TB on Thursday, peachy keen all weekend. On the drive into the office this morning the data stopped working no 3G no LTE. Last update was halfway through my drive as recorded by my last Exchange Activesync.

After multiple battery pulls, the connection reset app, changing to LTE vs CDMA in the test menu...nothing worked until a i did a power off "hold the power button and down volume" hard reset. Yeah it took about a minute after fully booting before the but i got a 3G/LTE signal (i work in fringe area)

Totally blows that it lost all my customization. Let's see if it makes it through the week for me, but this makes me think a FW update is needed and it's not faulty hardware.

landale

Reaction score
I am afraid to tell people I know with Thunderbolts to hard reset when the problem can still come back as we still don't know if a hard reset is a permanent fix. Verizon says they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix so hopefully it will be able to be fixed on their end without the need of a hard reset.

landale

Reaction score

-Click edit
-type 000000

I just had my two friends with Thunderbolts try this and it worked! Just remember after you change Rev A to enable to hit the menu button and then commit the changes. This is so much better then telling them to hard reset.

borq646

Reaction score

-Click edit
-type 000000

I just had my two friends with Thunderbolts try this and it worked! Just remember after you change Rev A to enable to hit the menu button and then commit the changes. This is so much better then telling them to hard reset.

Thanks. Worked for me.

MrKleen

Reaction score

-Click edit
-type 000000

Thanks. Worked for me.

This does the trick... Pass it to everyone that's having problems.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good to know but mine doesn't show ESPT in the drop down...it is set on eHRPD..I am no longer having issues so I will leave it for now....Resetting the sim worked on mine...I will ask my friend at Verizon to inquire though when I get home....

kparks

Reaction score
verizon tech diagnosed the problem as being a hardware issue... told me to go to verizon and exchange my phone immediately but wouldnt tell me what it was.

she did confirm using *228 frys the sim card but i hadnt used it so i have no idea what the issue was
if the 228 thing were true it may be IDK im not trying it lol you would think they would tell u i mean its not uncommon to do u know matter fact u have to do it with old phones so for 228 to fry the sim makes no sense at all

opiekelly

Reaction score
Still stable for 4-5 days using the test menu *#*#4636#*#* and setting cdma auto prl

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App