3g hotspot keeps disconnecting

volsportsfan

Reaction score
I successfully connected my ps3 to my droidx 3g hotspot but after 5min of checking out movies and games etc... i keep losing my 3g connection. Any ideas as to what is causing my droidx to lose the 3g hotspot? Battery is on high performance, nobody is calling or texting me, so i am stumped.

RedBaronCFI

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. Works great for 3 minutes, then nada. The Dell 9400 says it's still connected to the DroidX hotspot at 54Mbps, the diagnostics all say that everything is fine, and the DroidX displays the Dell 9400 as connected to the hotspot. But there is absolutely no internet connectivity any longer. The "up and down" arrows under the 3G on the DroidX are gray, with no activity. If this can't be corrected, I'm headed back to using the Storm.

Help!

Thanks.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is the device going to sleep?

OP
V

volsportsfan

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but why would sleep mode disable 3g connectivity? I can manually put my phone in sleep mode for 5sec and then take it back out and 3g hotspot is still working. Maybe you are right, extended time in sleep mode could be part of the problem.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
Very Common Problem ATM No Solution

I'm having the same problem as are hundreds or thousands of others. In fact, I have not seen a single post where an X user can stay connected. Maybe Froyo will fix. I hope so, because the hotspot is why I bought the phone.

keith204

Reaction score
The only way I have been able to stay connected is if I use the wifi tether for root users.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jpease

Reaction score
any word on this issue. I went to one of the corporate store. They where clueless. They acted like they have never heard of the problem. Over at Motorola support forum there is a long thread with the same issue.

OP
V

volsportsfan

Reaction score
Last time i hooked my ps3 up to 3g i was on 20min with no disconnect. My signal was between 75 and 80 dbm, my dx was docked in the multimedia station, and my screen timeout was turned off. Don't know if this combination works or if i was just lucky.

linken

Reaction score
3G hot spot drops

I just got this phone for the same reason as many, to have the wifi connection to my laptop. I have had the 3G drop at least 15 times during the day, typical up time about 5-10 minutes. One day it was up for at least 6 hours!!!
When I see the internet access bars at the bottom right of the laptop it will display a yellow exclamation mark. I check the Droid and it has either dropped or it is still up. Some times I check my signal on the laptop and it will display "Limited Access". (not sure what that really means as I can't access emails or internet at all).
Here is the interest part as well. When I have to re-start the hot spot it OFTEN reboots my Droid by turning off and restarting!

I also talked to the Verizon tech and Motorola tech and all they offer is either completely re-initialize your phone OR return it.
FOlks, this really appears to be a SW issue that Verizon and/or Mot need to address ASAP. We are all paying for this service and aren't getting what we paid for. I hope the design management team are looking into this problem along with all the debug info the customers like us are providing.:)

yuusharo

Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet, but if you are rooted, the latest version of wifi-tether for android 2.0.6 enables infrastructure mode on the Droid X. This is the same thing as the built in 3G hotspot app and no longer has the limitations it did before with ad-hoc networking. I've personally had better luck keeping a connection alive with wifi-tether than I have with the 3G hotspot, however sometimes data just locks up on the phone anyway. It keeps the connection to my computer alive, but no internet access. Strange.

Anyway, might want to give this a try.

wireless_tether_2_0_6.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.6 - Project Hosting on Google Code

Mrs.Laura316

Reaction score
I tried my 3G Mobile Hotspot for the first time today on my D2G. I wanted to stream music on my HP Mini. It stays connected for about 5 minutes then disconnects. I tried it several times today and it always disconnects after about 5 minutes. Has anyone heard any new news regarding fixes for this? Thanks.

Mrs.Laura316

Reaction score
Well, I called Verizon and they said the 3G Mobile Hotspot on my d2g is only a demo. It costs $20.00 a month to add the feature. :(

HTC.user

Reaction score
This is a problem with a lot of models, maybe they don't automatically refresh themselves. it can't be a problem with 3g because as soon as you refresh it on your phone it comes back in seconds no bother. it could be the sleep mode in the phone because when it goes to sleep it hasn't got as much wattage running through it and can't cling to the 3g. They told me that in a store when i was asking about the difference between using a dongle and a phone. they said with a dongle- all of the wattage (electricity output) is going to the 3G. think of radios, the more watts theyre pumping out the better reception. all phones have forgotton the same little thing and made the same mistake

HTC.user

Reaction score
Solution to time-outs!

SOLUTION!
to tethering and hotspot internet timeouts/ disconnections:

• Enable always-on mobile data.
  • And enable Background data.
(on your phone)

sorry if this wasn't the problem