3g mobile hotspot to PS3

Pyscolilboy18

Reaction score
For starters i do appologize if this is a repost.

I just got the Droid 2 and i attempted to pair with my PS3 using 3g mobile hotspot. I setup the hotspot with a password using the highest security available. I do believe it is something like wep/wpa or something like that.

Anyways i set it all up and the PS3 finds the phones hotspot but it says on the PS3; IP address- succeeded, Internet connection- Failed.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks,
Adam

dast

Reaction score
I just got the Droid 2 and i attempted to pair with my PS3 using 3g mobile hotspot. I setup the hotspot with a password using the highest security available. I do believe it is something like wep/wpa or something like that.

Anyways i set it all up and the PS3 finds the phones hotspot but it says on the PS3; IP address- succeeded, Internet connection- Failed.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks,
Adam

I can't confirm this myself as I haven't tried it, but I hear the main problem with connecting a PS3 to a Droid with a mobile hotspot enabled is that the PS3 does not support ad-hoc Wifi networks, which would probably be the default on a mobile hotspot. I believe the PS3 expects to connect only to Wifi networks in infrastructure mode rather than ad-hoc. I don't know if the hardware in the Droid is capable of doing infrastructure mode.

Can the PS3 connect to ad hoc networks?

http://androidforums.com/applicatio...-mode-droid-2-get-gaming-consoles-online.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/56155-infrastructure-mode-wireless-tether.html

Hope that helps.

arschein

Reaction score
After searching and finding no solution other then ICS, I decided to try a few things. I was able to get around the adhoc problem using a wireless router (wrt54g) flashed with a third party firmware. This allowed me to use the router in client mode and successfully connect to the Droid hotspot. In the router do a site survey and join the droid network. At the PS3 setup a wired connection. Seems to work fine. Decent quality streaming HD from Netflix.

dast

Reaction score
After searching and finding no solution other then ICS, I decided to try a few things. I was able to get around the adhoc problem using a wireless router (wrt54g) flashed with a third party firmware. This allowed me to use the router in client mode and successfully connect to the Droid hotspot. In the router do a site survey and join the droid network. At the PS3 setup a wired connection. Seems to work fine. Decent quality streaming HD from Netflix.

Kick ass hack! Kudos!

Reaction score
The verizon 3g hotspot app uses infrastructure mode I believe. All other apps in the market use ad hoc.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

arschein

Reaction score
The verizon 3g hotspot app uses infrastructure mode I believe. All other apps in the market use ad hoc.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I was reading the same but didn't want to buy from Verizon just to test. Where's the fun in that? ;) I should clarify that I'm using wifi-tether with root access. The router shows it as an ad-hoc network and it was unrecognized by my PS3. All other devices in my home had no problems. A friend tried to connect using an Ipad, similar to the 1st post the droid was recognized and he got an IP but was unable to get on the net. I've also had no success using any type of encryption to secure the connection between the router and the droid.