3G drops out when in call

drivica

Reaction score
Hey all. First off, I've been searching for the last hour or so and I'm... confused.

My problem is that my 3G drops when I make or receive a call. Thusly, I can't be on the internet, Pandora, etc. while in a call unless I'm using WiFi.

I've been reading and everything I've found points to the "fact" that V's network can't support 3G and voice at the same time and that the 3G is supposed to drop when in a call. The only thing is, I KNOW I've used data and voice at the same time as recently as yesterday.

So riddle me this: am I losing my mind for thinking I've used data and voice at the same time or is there something up with my phone/network?

The only thing I've changed in the last day is I may or may not have started using PDAnet to tether my phone. (Someone outright admitting they are breaching their contract is a bad idea, don't you think?) And IF said scenario took place, I'm positive the voice would work while tethering. It would be nice to not have to uninstall that program if I didn't have to (if indeed I have it, which I do not admit to).

Also, I'm nowhere near a wireless network so it wasn't getting the interwebz through that.

Thanks in advance.

lockman

Reaction score
First off, welcome.
You cannot use 3G and the phone at the same time. The way that Verizon compresses data does not allow that. AT&T uses a different compression type, which allows both simultaniously, but call quality suffers. Hope that helps.

OP
drivica

drivica

Reaction score
First off, welcome.
You cannot use 3G and the phone at the same time. The way that Verizon compresses data does not allow that. AT&T uses a different compression type, which allows both simultaniously, but call quality suffers. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the Welcome.
Hmmm... the snozberries sure tast like snozberries. Maybe I should lay off the cigarettes and Monster. I could have sworn I've done both.
Maybe my phone is the Neo of Droids...
Thanks for the reply. Now Verizon must pay...

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome.

Actually, it's not the compression of data; it's the technical differences between CDMA (VZW, Sprint) and GSM (All the other carriers).

I believe it actually has something to do with CDMA being encrypted.

pinesal

Reaction score
As far as data while on the phone, you may have been using cached data.

pastorbob

Reaction score
yes, it is likely cached data that you were seeing. At first i was confused as well, then i realized that I wasnt actually looking at anything new, it was stuff that had been loaded at a previous time anyways.

OP
drivica

drivica

Reaction score
That's about the only thing it could be. Just looking at stuff that was already loaded. Thanks for setting me straight.
I gotta say, this is one of the better forums I'm a member of. Happy Droiding.

Reaction score
Actually, it's not the compression of data; it's the technical differences between CDMA (VZW, Sprint) and GSM (All the other carriers).

I believe it actually has something to do with CDMA being encrypted.

CDMA-think of it as streaming
GSM-think of it as sending individual packets of data that are then unwrapped by the other end. Thus, different packets can be sent to different destinations at the same time.

x902

Reaction score
Hey drivica,

Yes you can make calls and be on 3G. I know this because I would be on conference calls and downloading apps, emails, looking at NEW webpages, etc. I was doing this up until I installed tethering. After the installation I have not been able to us 3G while on the phone. There must be a way to revers it...