3G and 1x disappearing when Idle

JDBGator

Reaction score
Anyone having any issues with signal loss when the phone is idle? It does not happen all the time, but everyonce in a while the phone will show signal bars, but no 3G or 1x. It will then take about 10 seconds or so then kick into 3G.

I usually wouldn't worry about it, but during this time i'm not receiving any emails or messages. Other than this, the X has been an awesome phone.

Any help with this??? dancedroid

PACanesFan

Reaction score
Anyone having any issues with signal loss when the phone is idle? It does not happen all the time, but everyonce in a while the phone will show signal bars, but no 3G or 1x. It will then take about 10 seconds or so then kick into 3G.

I usually wouldn't worry about it, but during this time i'm not receiving any emails or messages. Other than this, the X has been an awesome phone.

Any help with this??? dancedroid

Check your settings and go into Battery Profile Options and look and see if your data timeout is set to disable after a certain time.

By the sounds of it, your X is turning off the data in order to save battery. I do this during off peak hours.

silverfox92

Reaction score
This is a problem I've been having too....and it doesn't always fix itself in 10 seconds...VERY frustrating, I certainly hope the 2.2 update fixes this for good, as currently the only OCCASIONAL fix i have for this when it doesn't fix itself automatically in a few seconds, is to restart the whole damn thing,...

Under the battery manager, changing safe mode to performance mode should significantly decrease the amount of times 3G doesn't come back...

nichols1710

Reaction score
Verizon/Droid X/ android 2.2.1 ver 8/ not rooted/ Charlotte, NC

Happening to me. Just left the Verizon store, where the store manager says she's having the same problem on teh same device. Verizon's fix is, of course, factory reset... which I am not willing to do. She told me she performed the reset and it did not help. However, performing the reset allowed her to escalate the issue beyond the help desk, but she indicated that it has not been resolved.

This is happening in areas that have previously had very strong signal, and happens when the phone is sittting perfectly still. I have been standing next to other Verizon users (different phones) and their signal is rock steady while mine switches back and forth.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Verizon/Droid X/ android 2.2.1 ver 8/ not rooted/ Charlotte, NC

Happening to me. Just left the Verizon store, where the store manager says she's having the same problem on teh same device. Verizon's fix is, of course, factory reset... which I am not willing to do. She told me she performed the reset and it did not help. However, performing the reset allowed her to escalate the issue beyond the help desk, but she indicated that it has not been resolved.

This is happening in areas that have previously had very strong signal, and happens when the phone is sittting perfectly still. I have been standing next to other Verizon users (different phones) and their signal is rock steady while mine switches back and forth.

If you are willing to take the plunge to gingerbread, it updates the phone radio which may help you out. I did not experience that issue on stock GB that I ran for a few weeks. It happened sometimes on froyo but I have not seen it on GB. I am on a different ROM now, but it did not seem to happen when I used stock GB.

nichols1710

Reaction score
Just scanned Motorola's own Droid forums, and the issue seems to be widespread.

I just started a system update... will post results, if any.

THANKS

nichols1710

Reaction score
Downloaded 4.3.3. Turned my Droid X into a sleek, beautiful brick.

I miss my bag phone (and 1991)

ABQNM

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on brick? Most "bricks" can be fixed. What steps did you take and what happens when you power up?

nichols1710

Reaction score

Freezing, locks up, stable apps like weather bug and gallery force close without fully loading. Can't make or receive a phone call... or 10-20 seconds elapses between hitting go on the dialer before the call is made.

ABQNM

Reaction score

Freezing, locks up, stable apps like weather bug and gallery force close without fully loading. Can't make or receive a phone call... or 10-20 seconds elapses between hitting go on the dialer before the call is made.

You may want to try clearing cache. Power off phone and hold the home button while powering up. Once you see a triangle with an exclamation point, press both volume keys together. Use the volume keys to scroll to wipe cache partition (wording may be slightly different, but there are only 4 options. Make sure it is just cache) and press the power button to select. When it finishes, highlight reboot and press power. Usually that will help after a ROM upgrade. And you won't lose any data.

nichols1710

Reaction score
Did it twice.... no help. I fear I'm staring down the barrell of a factory reset.

ABQNM

Reaction score
No problem. Good luck.

Posted wirelessly from the magic handheld forum machine.