*228 destroys sim card

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I'm in a Verizon store right now. Behind their counter at every computer is a sign in large print that says "do not use *228 on the thunderbolt!!! It will destroy the sim card!! I asked why and they said the sim card updates automatically. It gets fried if you do it yourself. Hope this helps.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

ASN-121

Reaction score
Confirming this, had two reps tell me this when I picked mine up.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

lnslip

Reaction score
i did this not thinking about it when i first got the phone. its still fine. everything works. then again it wouldnt even connect when i did it. phone still works crazy good!

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah first got phone did this and *228# and then remembered something I had found a while back that there was no need to do this.. phone running great.. and 4G working great too.. So assuming sim card is fine..

DJStormX

Reaction score
Oh wow...thanks for the post! was doing this all yesterday and figured it was a software issue. Thanks for the heads up!

jawa6969

Reaction score
Mine wouldn't let me dial *228. It would act like it was going to connect the call but immediately hang up. I tried multiple times. Reason I was trying was because the Verizon site told me to after I changed my phone number online (post Thunderbolt purchase). Won't try it ever after reading this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

digdug1

Reaction score
the stupid rep at my local vzw did this to mine! she said the phone defaulted and did it itself but i saw HER do it lol. and they had to put a new sim card in it which my the way is not a quick process but i will spare you the details.

new sim phone working great!

nerdkill

Reaction score
I had a different issue. My upgrade was available on a different line. Apparently when you upgrade it immediately burns the sim card of the device and there's nothing you can do about it. So, lucky me got to purchase a second sim card before I ever touched the phone @ $20. Super frustrating.

n0yxl

Reaction score
I hope that Verizon has allot of spare Sim cards in that case.

Question: So, if people are used to dailing *228 to update PRL; why design a system that will destroy itself, when you dail *228? That just seems dumber than dumb to me.

My guess is that VZW will figure out a solution to this, I just hope that they have lots of spare Sim cards available for their customers.

trebb

Reaction score
My 4G hasn't worked since I turned the phone on - I tried to dial *228. However, it wouldn't even go through. Does that mean my SIM is still messed up?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When my phone was delivered on Friday I looked at the paperwork. I had purchased it on my daughter's eligible line and told them when I ordered I was doing an Alternate Upgrade. Reps should know by now what that means. It means that it should automatically accept the Terms and Conditions on the line the upgrade was for and then activate on the line it was bought for. Well, the rep I purchased from completely ignored my request and just ordered it on my daughter's line. I inserted the SIM card, turned on the phone and it went into activation mode. I would have had no way to contact my daughter to explain to her that her iPhone was not in service. So I disconnected the battery, contacted VZW, did the the accepting T&C through the IVR and then he manually put it on my line. At first it wasn't activating, but after about 3 minutes magically it went through. I'm sure I could have had some really nasty issues like some of you are having now.

Screwbal

Reaction score
If u ever needed to update the pri couldn't u just remove the sim then? It's it only needed for 4g but without it 3G should be fine and still work and let u do *228?

zero7404

Reaction score
pardon my ignorance here, i didnt know the thunderbolt had a sim to begin with ....

whats it for, just lte or does it allow overseas use of the phone as well ?

posted via android

xier

Reaction score
My 4G hasn't worked since I turned the phone on - I tried to dial *228. However, it wouldn't even go through. Does that mean my SIM is still messed up?

Does everything but 4G work? I have two TB's -- the first one auto activated but the 2nd one had a sim problem - once sim was replaced it was a few seconds to activate.