*228 destroys sim card

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though off topic I'd like to know why it has a Sim Card swell. My guess is it's necessary to access the 4G netwwork.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Correct. The sim card if for LTE. It will not work over seas. However, I believe 3g will not work without the sim either.

Sent from my ADR6400L

zero7404

Reaction score
maybe ... then this is verizon's first step moving towards GSM technology .... ?
given the age of CDMA and it's years of upgrades .... or if LTE is not quite GSM, perhaps there will be a merger or joining of the technologies such that all verizon phones in the next few years will all accept sim cards.

rumor has it iphone 5 may come with the ability to activate on any network, so it may have cdma/gsm radios all in one chip

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
maybe ... then this is verizon's first step moving towards GSM technology .... ?
given the age of CDMA and it's years of upgrades .... or if LTE is not quite GSM, perhaps there will be a merger or joining of the technologies such that all verizon phones in the next few years will all accept sim cards.

rumor has it iphone 5 may come with the ability to activate on any network, so it may have cdma/gsm radios all in one chip

CDMA and GSM are about the same age. LTE is 4G newer/better than GSM.
The Iphone5 would do best to be a LTE phone. Wether its 3g radio is CDMA or GSM will depend on the network.

Sent from somewhere...

ke0kie

Reaction score
My thunderbolt is being delivered tomorrow. I upgraded from another device on the Vz website.

What is *228, and why would I enter it in the first place? Is there something I should know before I try to transfer service from my existing phone to the thunderbolt tomorrow?

--Scott

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
My thunderbolt is being delivered tomorrow. I upgraded from another device on the Vz website.

What is *228, and why would I enter it in the first place? Is there something I should know before I try to transfer service from my existing phone to the thunderbolt tomorrow?

--Scott
*228 is how you activate your phone and update PRLs. Even in the store that's how that activate it. You dial *228 option 1 to activate and option 2 updates PRLs, which should be done monthly.

Sent from somewhere...

zero7404

Reaction score
option 2 updates PRLs, which should be done monthly.
Sent from somewhere...

wasn't aware of option 2. i tried this and went from 3 bars signal to 4.

regarding LTE, a little reading reveals that it's a new platform, seems at&t may be jumping on it in the near future as well .... so perhaps this is the evolutionary successor to GSM and CDMA. it started in Japan i believe, the standard was tested and finalized prior to Verizon deploying it.

LTE-Advanced is a software upgrade to the network that will probably enhance current LTE speeds with existing devices/hardware.

doesn't qualify as 4G because the IMT set the 4G spec/standard higher than LTE is currently capable, but the logo stuck without protest from them i guess ...

but to get back to my query, LTE is actually an evolution of GSM.

ke0kie

Reaction score

--Scott
*228 is how you activate your phone and update PRLs. Even in the store that's how that activate it. You dial *228 option 1 to activate and option 2 updates PRLs, which should be done monthly.

Sent from somewhere...

Interesting, so consensus is not to do this specifically on the TB? I'll be jumping through the activation hoops tomorrow, and don't want to do something bad to the new phone.

--Scott

Reaction score
Though off topic I'd like to know why it has a Sim Card swell. My guess is it's necessary to access the 4G netwwork.

After both talking to my Account Manager as well as having a mix-up with a different 4G Wireless modem a couple of months ago, the SIM card in the 4G LTE capable devices is actually going to function just as it does on the AT&T phones.

Though all the VZW SIM cards say "4G" on them, that is only because the 4G devices are the only devices that will use them. They are required to be in the phone/device in order for them to work on the VZW network, 3G or 4G alike.

Each new SIM card, once registered, will not be able to change to a new phone number... consider the SIM card as a "hotswappable" phone card. You will no longer need to dial *228 to activate a phone as the SIM carries your phone number on it. Likewise, if you ever have to swap devices and they both have SIM card slots in them, you can put the SIM in the new device and that device will now have your phone number on it.

I know this because I had a 4G Wireless modem that a VZW accidentally activated on one of my phone lines (Call it Phone #1). After activating it on that number, they tried to move the 4G Modem to a different line (Phone #2), but because the SIM was already activated on Phone #1, they ended up having to send me a brand new SIM and once I got that, activated the new SIM on Phone #2 and it then worked.

Jessesmith888

Reaction score
So how do we update the prl with out *228? I notice my signal strength is much less at home than it was with my x. Using the app "antennas" it shows I'm using a cell tower twice as far as the one I should be.

by the beard of Zeus.

ForeverInOur

Reaction score
when i put the sim card in mine, it automatically dialed a number..idk if it was 228 or not, but it didnt activate properly. i had to go online and activate it cause it was for another line (forgot to do). after i did that the phone activated but still no 4G