2.2 Signal Strength

pyth0n

Reaction score
Hey guys, i searched and searched the forums for the last 2 hours to see if someone has the same problem as me and didnt find anyone with it. I also had a battery problem like some other users but i uninstalled most stuff and followed other stuff users did so we'll see how that goes. What my problem has been since the update is the signal strength, since i upgraded i rarely get 3g coverage where before i NEVER went below 3G, now im hitting the 1x, havent monitored the data exactally but that'll be easiest where I work if needed, there its been the biggest problem. Aside from my data being slow my signal strength has been relatively horrid. Before I RARELY used to dip into anything below 2 bars (theres a couple spots driving home from work) and always had full or 1 less then full bars in the house, now im stuck with 0-2 bars in the house (2 if im lucky and theres a short span) and pretty horrid coverage everywhere else. Anyone else have this problem? Ive tried pretty much everything but a hard reset at this point i think. Any solutions or attempts at a solution would be awesome. Thanks for the read.

truckbutt

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problem. My voice reception has been clearer since the update. No change in frequency of 3G.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problem. My voice reception has been clearer since the update. No change in frequency of 3G.

thanks, well i went to the verizon store and all the smokin hot chick could tell me was try updating the towers or some poo like that.. basically u dial *228 and then option 2, im gonna see if that works.

Its sad just driving through town i got 0 bars like half the time -_-

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
redoing the towers did nothing, im gonna call in a little bit later

Bill_Texas

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I am having the same problem. Before the upgrade I was always at 3g, now I have a hard time getting it and sometimes lose my signal to the point of not being able to get my emails. I hope there is a fix soon. I am really getting tired of the cell phone marketing blitz where they tell you how good their phones are, but once you get one you are sorely dissapointed.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
oh the fun continues

so i factory reset and no my phone wont activate or anything

TeknoMonkey

Reaction score
I was having the same type of problem as well. However, I thought it was attributed to the extended battery I'm using from the Droid 2. I got it on Sunday when I wasn't able to receive calls and or texts at all and had my phone on for about 30 hours. All it took was a restart and I started getting calls and texts again. I'll definitely try doing the *228 maneuver and see if that helps. Maybe with the new update coming out this week to next, it might help correct the current situation. Thanks again for the post.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
I was having the same type of problem as well. However, I thought it was attributed to the extended battery I'm using from the Droid 2. I got it on Sunday when I wasn't able to receive calls and or texts at all and had my phone on for about 30 hours. All it took was a restart and I started getting calls and texts again. I'll definitely try doing the *228 maneuver and see if that helps. Maybe with the new update coming out this week to next, it might help correct the current situation. Thanks again for the post.

i turned it off and turned it back on, it asked me to activate it again, went through the process, it told me my phone is activated but in reality its still not =( its been over 30 hours now and its getting annoying. I wont have a day off till friday and thats when ill be able to call em and see whats up. Been doing the *228 and *22899 a bunch, seems like every couple hours at least.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
update

well let me update

After not being able to activate my phone forever cause i had no other phone and was working 12 hr shifts i finally called vzw. I was gonna be all mad and make em send me a x or version 2 but the guys that were helping me out were supper nice so i couldnt even get mad =P

1 guy showed me how to manually activate it and that worked.

As far as signal strenght, we tried a few different things to no avail so theyre sending me a new handset by friday at the latest. Said the update mighta screwed up my signal searcher or something like that.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
got a new phone, service seems to have improved but im not 100% sure its what it used to be. Will update again in a few days

roadieken

Reaction score
I too have had connection problems since the 2.2 update. Wifi constantly disconnects, I rarely get a 3G connection (always 1x), and I drop 90% of my calls. I've had this problems over an entire 90 mile radius from my home, at all hours of the day.

Just got off the phone with Verizon. It took all of 10 minutes for them to decide to send me a new phone. All the while they repeatedly apologized.

titans1

Reaction score
if you dont mind telling me go to setting>got to the bottom about phone> tell be what your base band version is please? if it is what i think it is thats prob your problem. I updated mine like an idiot to 01.43.01p and my service has hit the crapper. I was good before. now i am always fluxuating and bouncing dropping calls etc. Also keep in mind depending on were you live verizon has been taking over alltels towers and updating them and shutting some down etc. This may very well affect you though like i said i dont know were you live.

roadieken

Reaction score
if you dont mind telling me go to setting>got to the bottom about phone> tell be what your base band version is please? if it is what i think it is thats prob your problem. I updated mine like an idiot to 01.43.01p and my service has hit the crapper. I was good before. now i am always fluxuating and bouncing dropping calls etc. Also keep in mind depending on were you live verizon has been taking over alltels towers and updating them and shutting some down etc. This may very well affect you though like i said i dont know were you live.

Not for sure if this was directed to me or not. However, that is the baseband that is listed on my phone.

I am in an area (just outside of Lincoln, NE) that Verizon took over from Alltel little better than a year ago if I remember correctly. My wifes Eris works fine here though. I have a co-worker with the same baseband on his droid and it works fine?

Last edited:

faganm24

Reaction score

Not for sure if this was directed to me or not. However, that is the baseband that is listed on my phone.

I am in an area (just outside of Lincoln, NE) that Verizon took over from Alltel little better than a year ago if I remember correctly. My wifes Eris works fine here though. I have a co-worker with the same baseband on his droid and it works fine?

I also have the same baseband version. I've been having problems with reception at home, but not really anywhere else (Omaha, NE). Just terrible, dropping calls all the time. It all started about the time I manually updated to Froyo (The first update). I thought it might be from that problem, but my wife has the Devour and it has had the same issues. I stumbled upon this forum:

Free Verizon Wireless Extender, Improve Cell Phone Reception in your house. (High Speed Connection Required) - SlickDeals.net Forums

It talks about a process to obtain a free network extender for my home. This is the only place I really have reception issues and I haven't really noticed 3G issues. I was contacted by my local rep and they mentioned the work that was being done with Alltel towers switchover. She mentioned that my area (Millard) was especially terrible and had noticed issues. They said it would be fixed by today (8/31), and so its not and I'll contact them again. But she was willing to credit half of my bill ($65) which is the most they can credit. Hopefully the tower issue is resolved or I at least get a free network extender (Normally $150 after rebate). We'll see I guess. You should try this process too.

Go Huskers!

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score

c_01.43.01P is mine

UPDATE on my status, after spending some time with the new phone i found out the problem still remains, it worked good for a while and about half the drive to work it worked awesome, other then that, im at 1x data network and -90 to -99 dBm on my signal strenght. Im gonna call verizon, they can either give me a different phone and remove my bill for this month or ill be going else where. Really sucks since i LOVED my droid but this isnt the service im paying for and im barely using my phone now (might as well have pay as i go lol)