1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Correlating signal strength with up/down speeds

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by dparm, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dparm

dparm New Member

I am trying to understand if there is a problem with the coverage in my condo, my phone, or perhaps just a misunderstanding of how the OG Droid draws its signal bars. Ran a few "scientific" tests to see if I could make sense of things. Exact results at the bottom.

What it comes down to is that anywhere inside my condo registers around -70dbm (showing 0 or 1 bars, maybe 2) yet I'm struggling to do better than 200kbps down/120kbps up. I live in a high rise on the 16th floor. If I go downstairs to the street, the signal is actually about 3-5dbm worse at -75dbm but the speeds are 4-5 times faster and I see "full signal bars".

This is really frustrating because I'm forced to use wifi indoors and the call quality is only mediocre. I feel like the signal bars are totally worthless...and yes, I understand dbm is logarithmic. What am I missing here?

Background info:
    OG Motorola Droid
    Stock FRK76 (Android 2.2.3), rooted
    C_01.43.01P baseband
    Peter Alfonso 1.2GHz SV kernel
    52644 PRL
    Speedtest.net app v2.0.8, Comcast server @ Chicago, IL
    Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS disabled
    3x back-to-back tests at each spot, rebooted before moving to the next spot

Couch:
    (next to very large windows, 16th floor of 31 total, downtown Chicago, minimal obstruction from adjacent buildings)
    -65dbm, 0asu
    1 or 0 bars, "3G" icon
    125-159ms ping
    138-211kbps down
    116-165kbps up
    Note: I also stepped out onto the patio to see if the windows or blinds were somehow interfering. Signal strength, ping, and up/down speeds were identical.

Bathroom:
    (interior-most room, no windows)
    -68dbm, 0asu
    2 or 1 bar, "3G" icon
    128-145ms ping
    190-262kbps down
    216-325kbps up

Bus stop:
    (16 floors directly below my apartment patio)
    -73dbm, 0asu
    4 or 3 bars, "3G" icon
    101-153ms ping
    888-1834kbps down
    792-807kbps up