2.2 Signal Strength

Card

Reaction score
Very strange. I do the *228 tower update at least once a month, and have had no issues with reception since the 2.2 update. I was even pleseantly surprised that during my week-long vacation to eastern Tennessee, I was the only person out of my friends to have cell service (2 AT&T users, 1 T-Mobile user, and me on Verizon). Anytime we were at the cabin, everyone kept wanting to borrow my phone to get hold of people.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
Very strange. I do the *228 tower update at least once a month, and have had no issues with reception since the 2.2 update. I was even pleseantly surprised that during my week-long vacation to eastern Tennessee, I was the only person out of my friends to have cell service (2 AT&T users, 1 T-Mobile user, and me on Verizon). Anytime we were at the cabin, everyone kept wanting to borrow my phone to get hold of people.

yea i dont think everyone is effected but im sure some people are

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not for sure if this was directed to me or not. However, that is the baseband that is listed on my phone.

I am in an area (just outside of Lincoln, NE) that Verizon took over from Alltel little better than a year ago if I remember correctly. My wifes Eris works fine here though. I have a co-worker with the same baseband on his droid and it works fine?

I also have the same baseband version. I've been having problems with reception at home, but not really anywhere else (Omaha, NE). Just terrible, dropping calls all the time. It all started about the time I manually updated to Froyo (The first update). I thought it might be from that problem, but my wife has the Devour and it has had the same issues. I stumbled upon this forum:

Free Verizon Wireless Extender, Improve Cell Phone Reception in your house. (High Speed Connection Required) - SlickDeals.net Forums

It talks about a process to obtain a free network extender for my home. This is the only place I really have reception issues and I haven't really noticed 3G issues. I was contacted by my local rep and they mentioned the work that was being done with Alltel towers switchover. She mentioned that my area (Millard) was especially terrible and had noticed issues. They said it would be fixed by today (8/31), and so its not and I'll contact them again. But she was willing to credit half of my bill ($65) which is the most they can credit. Hopefully the tower issue is resolved or I at least get a free network extender (Normally $150 after rebate). We'll see I guess. You should try this process too.

Go Huskers!

Perhaps it's just a problem with the tower if it just happens at home. You should call Verizon and have them do a trouble ticket. I had the same thing happen with my Droid and 4 days later my 3G was coming in just fine.

You may not need the extender.

Droid Scout

Reaction score
My DX has not been updated and it has only worked 5% of the time since I got it on the 23rd. Verizon credited my bill and is sending out new phone. Wifey got hers the same day....no problems at all!!!!! They are sending me a new phone hope to get it by the 10th. Feeling very dejected at the moment:angry:

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
My DX has not been updated and it has only worked 5% of the time since I got it on the 23rd. Verizon credited my bill and is sending out new phone. Wifey got hers the same day....no problems at all!!!!! They are sending me a new phone hope to get it by the 10th. Feeling very dejected at the moment:angry:

well at least it didnt work perfect then updated it and WHAM might as well have the old school brick phone lol

they said it might take the phone they sent me 3-4 days to get here but when i called saturday and it got here monday first thing, so your phone might get there sooner ^^

MsterKush

Reaction score
I live in Boulder, CO and the mountains around town don't have cell coverage. T-Mobile barely works up there.

I just updated my kernel to C_01.43.01P and now I'm getting better reception everywhere. My room in my house only got me 1 bar before and now Im sitting at 3. What works for some, doesn't for others.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
so they did some kinda prl update or something along those lines, and now im not allowed to dial *228 but its supposed to make my service better, so far has helped but only the slightest. I also noticed the keyboard on the replacement is loose so when im pressing anything on the screen it clanks the 2 pieces together and theres screen ghosting at the bottom so im not real happy with that now either =/

roadieken

Reaction score
My replacement arrived yesterday. it was a refurbished Droid 1. It fixed my connection problems. However, the headphone jack has a horrible short in it so tthey're sending yet another one.

OP
P

pyth0n

Reaction score
My replacement arrived yesterday. it was a refurbished Droid 1. It fixed my connection problems. However, the headphone jack has a horrible short in it so tthey're sending yet another one.

hrmm i wonder if its possible i got another bad one =o

i still only get -90 to -104 dBm for my service