2.2 Beefs/Issues

blackbird2150

Reaction score
So like most people, I was SUPER excited to FINALLY get 2.2, and what happens? I get it and i'm really disappointed. 2.1 on the phone felt polished, was it perfect? no, but it felt honestly polished. 2.2 on the otherhand while faster, doesn't feel polished at all. I seem to have a growing list of pet peeves and was wondering is it just me, or are there solutions to any of these, so I thought I'd ask:

1. When you activate a pin/pattern lock you still have to do the original slide to unlock and are then presented with the security. Now, I could see someone at Google thinking this is a good thing, but it drives me nuts. Anyway to turn it off?
2. The text message icon, after receiving a text and clicking on it, goes away and comes back while your still in the text screen (many times making me think I have another text).
3. When docked, whenever I add a new widget, (say weather) it doesn't stay past that one docking session. Meaning the next night when I dock it, the weather widget is no longer there.
4. Location services... Just don't work... Like in weather bug. I also frequently see my gps activated for no "seemingly" real reason.
5. Voice recognition is deathly slow now. like taking up to 30 seconds to turn on voice commands (just to be ready to accept a voice command) and speech to text takes like 3x as long.

Maybe I'm the only one that notices these problems, or maybe they are localized to my phone.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

jsandersp

Reaction score
I am also seeing my text icon reappear after I have selected and begin replying. I have also noticed another strange phenomenon. Sometimes when I receive a text, I pick up the phone, hit the slide lock, and find that my screen is in horizontal mode. It stays stuck that way until I back out and reopen the text.

And, while we are on the subject, it seems my feeds are a bit off. Facebook updates fairly erratically, though this could be the nature in which people are posting. My subscribed news feeds hardly seem to update at all. I only subscribe to a few feeds and I get a couple occasionally, but I haven't seen a feed from Gizmodo in over two days. It shows up in my subcriptions. I have unsubscribed then re-subscribed. Nothing. I am running Nighttime Mode, always have wifi enabled at home (which I know shuts off after 15 minutes of inactivity, I think), and my data sync settings seem correct for allowing feeds.

On a non-beef/issue, I am getting some significantly better battery life since the upgrade. 22h 30m 11s since uplugged with 30% battery remaining. I would say, in this case, not very heavy usage (part of this is over night), but still. Before, I would sometimes wake up to a nearly spent battery and I had everything turned off (as far as I know, and not the phone itself, just wifi, gps, etc.).

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd do a factory hard reset and if that doesn't solve some of your concerns, I'd take it to a Verizon factory store and have them reflash the software.

jsandersp

Reaction score
I don't know if I am ready to blast my phone yet! My optimistic side is hoping these annoyances and any others will mysteriously disappear just like they arrived.

OP
B

blackbird2150

Reaction score
Verizon has announced there will be a software update to fix the text message issues, oddly not the one mentioned here, but relating to them being out of order, which is another issue too. So we'll have to see what happens

toolboy7

Reaction score
Good to hear about the order...I have to scroll halfway most of the time to find an unread text message!!

hugebob

Reaction score
I wish I could go back to 2.1! After updating, I have no consistent WiFi connection anywhere. It continually disconnects and tries to obtain an IP address. So, if WiFi is on, any app (browser, FaceBook, Android Market, etc) that needs a network connection can't connect do anything. I have to turn WiFi off and use the cell network.

toolboy7

Reaction score
I think a lot of people feel that the phone was better before 2.2 except for the flash inclusion.

trypt

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing call connection issues after 2.2? Once yesterday and once today when I placed a call it just sat there and said "connecting". No sound was coming through the speaker. Eventually it gave up and when I got connected to the person on the next try I found out the first call actually went through! I just couldn't hear anything the person was saying.

OP
B

blackbird2150

Reaction score
I was rooted before, and factory reset (the verizon store said they didn't have the "ability" to flash me to 2.2) and now 2.2 actually works better, still a bunch of problems, b ut like the widget problem in the dock i was having is now gone. its pretty quick again. the cursor actually keeps up with the typing. so we shall see...

OP
B

blackbird2150

Reaction score
Also thought I'd add that when your phone is in 24 hr mode (i.e. military time), docked and at 12am it decides to cut off one of the 0's.
so if the time is 00:39 (or 12:39 am) it reads 0:39
At least on my phone.

Raychelrn

Reaction score
Sluggish

I can live with all the other issues........but my phone is so slow now!!!!! Scrolling through homescreens it is super slow, even posting this message is taking forever...seems like my phone is in slow motion :(

Eschy

Reaction score
Just be patient google is working on a new 2.2 build that was recently leaked for the nexus one and it seems to address a lot of these issues. Jit compilers on a phone are a very new thing and we are kind of the guinea pigs for development of it but with time google will work out the kinks. They always do. The software may be a bit buggy at times but we are still using the most advanced mobile os on the market in my opinion. Small price to pay if you think about it

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Factory Resets will fix most of the issues in this thread. Also clear cache and do a battery pull. No upgrade is flawless, fresh is king. My D1 had so many issues with "upgrades". The best method is to clear cache, and do a fresh install.

thatskaterguyy

Reaction score
Lol, I like your optimism Eschy. All the bugs are frustrating though. I don't know if my problem is because of android 2.2 or from my phone failing, but from about 1pm-3am or so, my internet fails. It starts getting slower and slower at one and then completely fails at about two. This started a couple days after I downloaded 2.2. It makes me mad that I'm paying $30 a month for internet, but can't use it.