2.2.1 on a rooted phone

djgdroid

Reaction score
What do you do if you have a rooted phone and there is an OTA update (2.2.1)? Will doing the update screw up your root? Not sure what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will have to bring your Droid back to stock to accept the update.

OP
djgdroid

djgdroid

Reaction score
Thanks Hook, I'll give it a go. Appreciate the quick reply.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have clockworkmod recovery and I couldn't install the update either. Now that I check for updates it doesn't even show the update.

stratjb

Reaction score

That's not completely true. If you rooted without loading SPRecovery or ClockWork Recovery (using one of the one click methods) then the update WILL install and WILL break your root. The SuperUser icon will still be in your drawer but no apps that require root will be able to get root.

I tried re-rooting with z4root and soup or root and both failed. Had to use Super one click to first un-root and then re-root.

Hope this helps.

ekf028

Reaction score

That's not completely true. If you rooted without loading SPRecovery or ClockWork Recovery (using one of the one click methods) then the update WILL install and WILL break your root. The SuperUser icon will still be in your drawer but no apps that require root will be able to get root.

I tried re-rooting with z4root and soup or root and both failed. Had to use Super one click to first un-root and then re-root.

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem with z4root, where did you get this super one click?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

turtleboyf

Reaction score
So if I have SPRecovery with stock 2.2 will I loose root if I do the latest OTA update?

stratjb

Reaction score

Hope this helps.

I had the same problem with z4root, where did you get this super one click?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Here's the link for the latest Super One Click Root -
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

thered

Reaction score
So what is the best way for me to get FRG83D on my Droid 1? I'm rooted with stock recovery using this method. If I use metiCkOne's ROM and place that update.zip on my sdcard, that wipe all my data, right?

Is there any rooted FRG83D update I can manually apply? Who had success with the 1 click root?

Should I just update it OTA and then root it again somehow?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ndoren

Reaction score
If you are rooted and running a recovery such as Clockworkmod, you can install the FRG83D zip from this website: Peter Alfonso

This is a stock FRG83D update/ROM but WILL maintain your root! You can install a complete rooted ROM or apply the incremental OTA update.

This is NOT recommended, but I did not clear cache, and I did not do a factory reset, and I did not clear dalvik cache. I simply applied complete rooted FRG83D ROM, and it worked fine. Thus, I did not need to restore or re-download any apps. Do a nandoid backup first just to be safe. Also, common sense tells you to do a factory reset first, though I have no common sense. Doing it my way is risky and foolish.

The only other issue is that the complete ROM update restores the stock kernel, if you choose that option. If you run a custom kernel (for overclocking or whatever), simply reinstall your previous kernel after the update, if you do the whole ROM. You don't even need to reboot in between. Just apply the FRD83D zip, then the kernel zip of your choice while in the same recovery session, then reboot. Neall

Last edited: