2.2.1 on a rooted phone

gbrettmiller

Reaction score
You will have to bring your Droid back to stock to accept the update.

That's not completely true. If you rooted without loading SPRecovery or ClockWork Recovery (using one of the one click methods) then the update WILL install and WILL break your root. The SuperUser icon will still be in your drawer but no apps that require root will be able to get root.

I tried re-rooting with z4root and soup or root and both failed. Had to use Super one click to first un-root and then re-root.

Hope this helps.

This definitely helps. Time to unroot....

skeezicks

Reaction score
If you are rooted and running a recovery such as Clockworkmod, you can install the FRG83D zip from this website: Peter Alfonso

Yep. I was rooted and running Clockworkmod when the OTA showed up a few days ago. I accepted it, but simply went into Clockworkmod's recovery. All's fine, but I'd like that OTA, and I'd rather get it over the air rather than installing Pete's version (mainly because I don't have the patience to wipe cache and data and get all the stuff set up again). Will Verizon push out the OTA again? Going to setup/System update, my Droid tells me that the "system is currently up to date."

Thanks to anyone who has answers!

albyone

Reaction score
Soup or Root 2.04 Beta

For anyone trying to root an original Droid 1 that has 2.2.1 FRG83D, I used "Soup or Root 2.04 Beta". After two tries, it worked like a charm. Afterwards, I got setCPU and Barnacle WiFi to work as root.

Runge_Kutta

Reaction score
I've been stock droid user since early last year: tried SuperOneClick and got root first try.

Important:

Use Windows XP like i did, known to have less issues with SOC

promptly downloaded, installed, and now run some basics: SetCPU, Wireless Tether, shake for screenie (drocap2).

- droid 2.2.1 FRG83D -