1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

10 Tips for your Dr0id!

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Getaphixx, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Getaphixx

Getaphixx New Member

Here are 10 tips to help you work your new Motorola Droid

1) Hold down the home button and a “quick launch” menu will appear. This will list your most recent 6 apps used so you can find your apps quicker.

2) To mount the USB drive in Windows, pull down the notification menu, choose “USB Storage”, and then choose “Mount”. This allows you to place the SD card in your phone as a drive in your computer, making it easy to transfer files from your PC to your Motorola Droid and vice versa.

3) For GV, ensure that your contacts and pad dialing are set to the format 1(555)555-1234. If you omit the 1 or the area code on local calls, GV won’t work.

4) When using the onscreen touch keypad on your Motorola Droid, hid them by flicking them down from the top and simply tap the field again to get them to return.

5) Be careful when using a pouch holster for your new Motorola Droid. If it contains magnetics, it may turn your Motorola Droid on “car mode.” This will eat up your battery life quicker than you think.

6) To set an mp3 song as your ringtone, upload the song on to your Motorola Droid. While the song is playing choose “menu” then “set as ring tone.” Do this for every song you would like to use as a ringtone. Set different ringtones for your contacts by going in to your address book and selecting a ringtone from the list you created.

7) One of the best Motorola Droid tips includes the copy/paste function. Hold down on any text field, and the “edit text” menu will appear. Select “Copy and Paste” functions as needed.

8) Need a vibrator on your phone? Go to settings-sound display and check the phone vibrate box if your phone is toggling between complete silence and ringing.

9) Like a picture on your web browser? Save it to your Motorola Droid! Tap and hold the picture, and then select “save”

10) If you like a certain Web site, you can add a shortcut to that Web site to your Motorola Droid’s home screen. Bookmark the site, tap anywhere on the home screen and hold down. The menu that will guide you to adding a shortcut will pop up.

(Thank you MegC!)
  2. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Thanks for the tips! Regarding tip #4, this does not work for me. Anyone else have this issue?
  3. slammed

slammed New Member

nice tips, thanks

#4 works for me
  4. thetruth

thetruth New Member

Tip #2 doesn't work for me. When I pull down the notifications bar I don't see a USB storage option.
  5. slammed

slammed New Member

do you have it connected to a PC?
    you will only get that message if you are connected.
  6. thetruth

thetruth New Member

Oh sorry I don't have it connected. My bad.
  7. pwo

pwo New Member

To get rid of the keyboard just press back once, to make it appear again just tap the txt enrtry field and it will come back....This is really simple.

Hope this helps
  8. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Nice tips. Thanks
  9. grim64131

grim64131 New Member

is the cut and paste limited to certain apps? on emails I cannot get the cut and paste to work
  10. Getaphixx

Getaphixx New Member

It works pasting into emails... As well as copy...

(If you're talking about gmail than no.. You'd need to possibly sign in through your browser to cut and paste gmail iffin you have it set up through your phone)
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. Getaphixx

Getaphixx New Member

Bumped my head this morning.
  12. jfm741

jfm741 New Member

I usually type using the virtual keyboard and i noticed that if you press and hold the "period" key, it brings up a set of commonly used "shift" keys like comma, and semi colon, and parenthesis...etc...
  13. khojem

khojem New Member

Tip#1 is misleading or incorrect.
    "1) Hold down the home button and a “quick launch” menu will appear. This will list your most recent 6 apps used so you can find your apps quicker."

Home by default is loaded with 6 apps when I got my Droid (Messaging, Market, Phone, Contacts, Browser, and Maps). I haven't noticed any change in that related to recent app use. Also, you can open drag up the apps tab and drag new apps to the Home. Home is huge and can hold numerous apps. Also, when you drag left or right you see extentions of Home to the left and right.

-- Control the Droid - Don't let the Droid control you! -- :icon_ banana:
  14. godanigo

godanigo New Member

How about,

11) Always hit the menu button while in an app, in settings or on the home screen to see more options.

Half the questions here could be solved with that answer alone.
  15. lstroyan

lstroyan New Member

Khojem, tip #1 is talking about a long hold on the home button rather than a tap. It does show most recent.
  16. thrty6

thrty6 New Member

lol^
    also regarding the copy and paste, one of the coolest features i figured out is that when your using the physical keyboard, you can hit the menu button (the one on the keypad) and it works as a ctrl type key. ie hitting menu and v will paste, c will copy and x will cut.
    The only thing i have trouble with is accurately selecting text with the touch screen, anyone figure out an easy way to do that?
  17. Getaphixx

Getaphixx New Member

Recheck your data on that...

I have many Apps that weren't on this phone by default...

Yet, they are showing up when I press and hold the home key...

Anyone else noticing this as well?
  18. souljerr

souljerr New Member

Yup. When I hold the home key, the 6 apps that are there do change based on what I've opened.
  19. WhiskeySix

WhiskeySix New Member

If in a text entry box, hold shift and use the d-pad to highlight text.

For web text, zoom in,hold shift and swipe over text. Don't worry about being super accurate w the copy as you can remove extra text after you paste :)

Also -

- Long press a link, and you can open in a new window.
    - In browser options you can configure new windows to open behind current window.
    - use dpad to get to tiny links (long press center of dpad for link options)
  20. ociopia

ociopia New Member

Is there a "global" way to add 1 prior to phone numbers, rather than having to go back and edit everything?

Also - I can't get google calendar to load on my Droid. My contacts from gmail loaded but not my calendar. Help?