1 Ghz vs 1.5 Ghz dual core...speed difference?

cloud12077

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it has been asked before or not.

What is the speed difference (in laymen’s terms) between the Bionic 1.0 Ghz vs the S2 1.5 Ghz?

I know I'm looking at things in the wrong light, but this is how I'm viewing things:

Bionic 1 Ghz dual = potential 2 Ghz
S2 1.5 Ghz dual = potential 3 Ghz

Again I know that's not how it works, but anyone know the rough speed difference between the 2?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The difference is .5ghz, lol. Just because a CPU is clocked stock at a certain frequency doesn't mean it will double that frequency and be stable. These newer chips, although faster run on the same or similar architecture as yesterdays chips meaning they will get hot...very hot, and will not be stable at those speeds. Not to mention it would crush your battery feeding voltage to the CPU in order to get it stable. Bottom line though is there really is NO reason to overclock a phone that high. None. Zilch. Nada. The efficiency of the chip-set and the quality of it's individual components result in better performance, the CPU is already plenty fast enough, don't be tricked by marketing drag-races. :happy:

magdream

Reaction score
My question would be what's the real world, speed difference in terms of actual noticeable usage.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
My question would be what's the real world, speed difference in terms of actual noticeable usage.

That is what I'm really looking for as well. Right now I have my OG droid clocked at 1.1 and it is a huge difference. Anyone know the real world speed difference?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Depends on the chipset used. Your equation is not how processing works. 1Ghz is 1Ghz, you simply have 2 cores running the same speed, which if software is optimized to used dual cores, one program can run on one core, while the other core can be used for say the operating system. This theoretically allows less stress to be put on each processor, making the software perform better overall.

The SGS2 uses a Snapdragon APQ8060 CPU, which is supposedly better optimized for gaming than the Bionics OMAP CPU.

As for what the difference is between 1.0 and 1.5, equal processors, it's a lot. Think of it like this, it's 1/3 faster, all things equal.

Real world differences on a phone? Not much, yet...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I just now understood the question, I thought he was referring to overclocking not how dual core works, so ignore the previous. Except the fact that CPU speed isn't the bottleneck of performance on phones anymore and enough people don't understand that, the processor is fast enough @ 1ghz to crunch whats coming its way, it's the other hardware and software configurations/architecture and instruction sets which yield true performance enhancement from now on, until those features can take advantage of the increased frequency you won't see that much of a performance increase. Take the D1 for instance, I can ramp it up to 1.3ghz but I see little performance increase between 1.3ghz and 800mhz because thing such as RAM, GPU, BUS speed, etc. limit the increase in performance due to bottlenecks, whereas a phone produced today at the same 1.3ghz with the same CPU would blow the D1 away because of other upgraded hardware allowing for full utilization. If your hardware/software do not take advantage you won't feel much difference.

So the CPU clockspeed is not an indication of real performance, everything needs to be taken into consideration...and given how close these two devices are in the launch timeline, their real world performance won't be that much different.

idefiler6

Reaction score
I'm glad I have a good connection for devices in case VZW ever gets the S2. That said, the extent of my phone gaming is dumb time wasters like Angry Birds or Dragon, Fly. I play when in the bathroom or an airport to kill time. Much prefer a keyboard/mouse or console for actual gaming, call me old fashioned.

Tegamal

Reaction score
Most I've ever been able to OC my OG Droid was 1100mhz, & it wasn't even 100% stable. Some people have gotten 1200mhz without issue, but my CPU is a finicky beast, stable at 1k with a Med voltage.

So, it's not likely to achieve 200% clock speed with all CPUs, each one is different. I don't doubt someone might get close or actually hit 2k, but don't hold your breath.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alucard9114

Reaction score
all i know when i get my ps3 controller working on my Bionic i will have a PS 1,gameboy,super nes,and genesis on one device lunch time in my car will never be more fun.:p

Oxymoron

Reaction score
all i know when i get my ps3 controller working on my Bionic i will have a PS 1,gameboy,super nes,and genesis on one device lunch time in my car will never be more fun.:p

+ 1 to that

*customized tapatalk signature*