Marvell's First 1.5 GHz Tri-Core Processor!!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I quit.....seriously....

I'm going back to my E815 and leave these new fangled phones to yall young whipper snappers....

It is true that there is always a better phone a few months away than the one you just got. But the next six months will see a MAJOR technological jump in smartphones, that is why I am not getting on the fascinate bandwagon and holding on to my update, my D1 will do just fine for a little longer.

Spot on buddy, smartphones are heading for a plateau of sorts very soon where distinguishing between one or another is simply just a matter of preference. Brand fans, software OS fans, keyboard fans, big/small form factor fans, benchmark fans...everything else will be just about the same with minor upgrades here or there.

The explosion will quiet down soon.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
*** Dusty Stares at His Droid for a Few Seconds ***

Pathetic.

*** Tosses It Over His Shoulder and Out the Window ***

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
*** Dusty Stares at His Droid for a Few Seconds ***

Pathetic.

*** Tosses It Over His Shoulder and Out the Window ***

that made me laugh...people started looking at me funny:icon_eek:

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
it's only just begun. Smartphones are becoming a HUGE consumer market.

They are mini-computers and will continue to evolve at a fast pace.

What you see in the PC market is what we will see in the Smartphone Market.

Droidfish

Reaction score

15 yrs into the future: Desktop pc setups become nothing more than a monitor, mouse, and keyboard wired into one cord(or no cords at all) that access your phones storage, memory and processor.

bhall238

Reaction score
I quit.....seriously....

I'm going back to my E815 and leave these new fangled phones to yall young whipper snappers....

It is true that there is always a better phone a few months away than the one you just got. But the next six months will see a MAJOR technological jump in smartphones, that is why I am not getting on the fascinate bandwagon and holding on to my update, my D1 will do just fine for a little longer.

I so agree with you. Now the question is how much longer do I wait before upgrading my phone? I've never made it much past my one year anniversary date but this news coupled with how happy I am with my Droid I...I'm on my way to a record dancedroid.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

I completely disagree. The size of portability will limit demand for intensive programs that desire desktop computers power, it's simply not necessary for anything more than is going to be provided by 2012. The only real changes you'll see in smartphones in the very near future is computing power (2ghz will run anything you can throw at it, seriously) and perhaps chip architecture for improved power consumption and battery technology for increased battery life. Just about every other change else will take place on a software level, and the hardware will become very similar across the entire market. The only thing phones even need more power for at the moment is the games of the future anyway, and that's a niche market because games that take advantage of that much power will cost a good hunk of cash.

I just don't see it.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
@Hugh

So after 2012 smartphones will have reached their pinnacle and not evolve much more beyond fwhat will be available?

Sent from my Droid

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
@Hugh

So after 2012 smartphones will have reached their pinnacle and not evolve much more beyond fwhat will be available?

Sent from my Droid

No, not at all...it's just that it won't be accelerating indefinably as PC's did in the 90's because the form factor will limit what people actually want to do with a 4" screen. The explosion of growth will start to diminish in a few years. No one is going to run a full version of Photoshop from a phone, sorry, so most intensive software programs won't be necessary. What separates one unit from another right now is A) software and B) hardware. Software will always be a determining factor, but hardware is going to get so competitive in the next year or so that there will be no REAL changes. What are you going to do with a 5ghz phone you can't do with a 2ghz phone? How about 6gig of RAM VS 2gig of RAM? There is a point that performance gains from the UI just don't get any more fluid and when that is realized then the demand for performance in the mobile department will diminish. Thus leaving nothing but games to take advantage of extreme phone performance and for most this just isn't necessary, so the market will be slow to realize the low demand.

I would put money on cellphones reaching this point by 2012 at the latest. We'll see smartphones not being obsolete in months but possibly years because changes will largely be material in nature.

What will happen is less focus on increasing specifications for phones but improving manufacturing architecture. Intel has 32 nm process certified and has started production, and also is first to demonstrate working 22 nm circuits as well, others will soon follow. in doing this manufacturers increasing profitability through lower production cost and result in huge decreases in power consumption. Lighter materials will be used, resulting in weight savings for super light units, or doing this gives them the option of increasing the size of batteries for extended video playback running full resolution screens all day without doubling the weight of the phone. The days of the 5 hour battery will be long gone.

This is the 5 year future of smartphones as I see it.