Marvell's First 1.5 GHz Tri-Core Processor!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
attachment.php

Yes you read that right! Marvell today introduced the world's first 1.5 GHz tri-core application processor, the Marvell® ARMADA™ 628.

"Marvell has once again set the benchmark for the rest of the industry with the world's first 1.5 GHz tri-core processor, delivering dual stream 1080p 3D video and 3D graphics performance with quad unified shaders for 200 million triangles per second delivered on ultra-low-power, long battery life smartphones and tablets,"

We have yet to see a dual core device as of yet and now this news breaks. With the smartphone technology evolving at such a dizzying pace we may be retiring our PC's and Mac's pretty soon. So who wants one?

Key Features

World's first "tri-core" application processor

Up to 1.5 GHz for the two main cores and 624 MHz for the third low power core

"Heterogeneous multiprocessing" with "hardware-based Cache Coherence"

1 MB System Level 2 Cache

Platform leading multimedia capabilities, including support for both WMMX2 and NEON acceleration; and a highly optimized pipelined VFPv3 floating point engine

Member of the ARMADA family of processors for easy software porting

1080p dual stream 3D video applications (30 FPS, multi-format)

Ultimate 3D graphics performance with quad unified shaders for 200 million triangles per second (MT/s)

High performance, integrated image signal processor (ISP)

Ability to project images on multiple simultaneous displays

2 LCDs

1 HDMI

1 advanced EPD controller

Peripherals support: USB 3.0 Superspeed Client, MIPI CSI, MIPI DSI, HDMI with integrated PHY, UniPro, Slimbus, SPMI

Source: Marvell, Boy Genius Report

beckx020

Reaction score
Ok. Now I might actually give up my droid before they pry it from my cold dead fingers. :icon_eek:

mjforte

Reaction score
Wow and I was excited about dual core processors! Wonder when we can expect to see this implemented.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
C/K you always bring the news that means the most to me :wink:

kennydied23

Reaction score
i think we'll see this in q1 2012, lol. It will probably be awhile until a manufacturer puts this in a droid phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I quit.....seriously....

I'm going back to my E815 and leave these new fangled phones to yall young whipper snappers....

donerico

Reaction score
I quit.....seriously....

I'm going back to my E815 and leave these new fangled phones to yall young whipper snappers....

It is true that there is always a better phone a few months away than the one you just got. But the next six months will see a MAJOR technological jump in smartphones, that is why I am not getting on the fascinate bandwagon and holding on to my update, my D1 will do just fine for a little longer.