Z4Root on Droid X

t.crawford714

Reaction score
Method with computer

Video at bottom!

I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone during or after this process.
This is for Android 2.2 OTA
This method does not always work.
I didn’t make any of the apps that were used in this guide.

Things you will need—
-Droid X
-File manager (I use Astro) You can get it in the Android Market for free
-Micro USB charge cord
-Computer with internet connection (PC or Mac)

Optional but highly recommended—Bootstrap (back-up)

Step 1—Download z4root1.3.0.apk (if your not a premium member you just have to wait like 40 seconds, no biggy)

Step 2—Connect your phone to the computer via the micro USB cable. Open your phone on the computer like a hard drive.

Step 3—Copy the .apk onto your phone (I was using a Mac for this so I could just drag it) Now disconnect your phone from your computer.

Step 4—Open your file manager, find your “Z,” there should be a file that is called z4root.1.3.0. Click it, hit “Open App Manager,” click “Install.”

Step 5—There should be an app called “z4root” in your App drawer. Open it, click “Permanent Root” This may take two tries, if it gets stuck on “Running exploit in order to obtain root access…” for more than five minutes, you may have to battery pull. Do this again and it should work. Your phone should reboot.

Step 6—After your phone reboots, go into your app drawer and there should be a app called “Superuser” the icon is a skull and cross-bones. Open it, it should say “su is up to date”

Congratulations you are now rooted!

Now the smart thing to do is make a back-up.

You will need to download DroidXBootstrap. Koush's DroidXBootstrap
They are exactly the same thing, just different sources. Koush is the developer of the Droid X Bootstrap.

Now connect your phone to the computer. You’re essentially doing the same thing with Bootstrap that you did with Z4root. Put the file onto your phone. Open Astro, click on the file, “Install” and/or “Launch” Click “Bootstrap Recovery” then “Reboot Recovery” This should reboot your phone into recovery called clockwork. Use the volume buttons to scroll, camera button to enter and the back button, well…goes back. Scroll down to backup and restore, hit enter. You have three options now, click backup. After this, go to the main menu and click “reboot system now.” This will reboot your phone normally. It might be a good idea to rename your back ups so you know which one you would like to restore.

To restore, open Bootstrap again. Click on Bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery, this will put you back into clockwork. Go down to Backup/restore, enter. Click backup. Now you should see a list of backups, hopefully you renamed them so you know which one you want. There should be a list of no’s and a yes after you select the one you would like. Select Yes and now your phone should start to restore.

If you did not understand this very well I suggest looking here (it is a complete guide to bootstrap) Thanks maderschramm

For more information click here, I used this guide to root and backup my own phone. I do not take credit for this guide.

Now you can do this just with your phone here is how

ON PHONE GUIDE

Video at bottom!!
I take no responsibility for what happens to your phone during or after this process.
This is for Android 2.2 OTA
This method does not always work.
I didn’t make any of the apps that were used in this guide.

First, go into your phone Settings > Applications > Then at the top is a title of "Unknown sources" make sure that box IS checked now you may continue

Things you will need—
-Droid X
-File manager (I use Astro) You can get it in the Android Market

Optional but highly recommended—Bootstrap (back-up)

Step 1—Download z4root1.3.0.apk onto your phone

Step 2—Open your file manager, find your “Z,” there should be a file that is called z4root.1.3.0. Click it, hit “Open App Manager,” click “Install.”

Step 3—There should be an app called “z4root” in your App drawer. Open it, click “Permanent Root” This may take two tries, if it gets stuck on “Running exploit in order to obtain root access…” for more than five minutes, you may have to battery pull. Do this again and it should work. Your phone should reboot.

Step 4—After your phone reboots, go into your app drawer and there should be a app called “Superuser” the icon is a skull and cross-bones. Open it, it should say “su is up to date”

Congratulations you are now rooted!

Now the smart thing to do is make a back-up.

You will need to download DroidXBootstrap. Koush's DroidXBootstrap
They are exactly the same thing, just different sources. Koush is the developer of the Droid X Bootstrap.

You’re essentially doing the same thing with Bootstrap that you did with Z4root. Open Astro (or your file manager), click on the file, “Install” and/or “Launch” Click “Bootstrap Recovery” then “Reboot Recovery” This should reboot your phone into recovery called clockwork. Use the volume buttons to scroll, camera button to enter and the back button, well…goes back. Scroll down to backup and restore, hit enter. You have three options now, click backup. After this, go to the main menu and click “reboot system now.” This will reboot your phone normally. It might be a good idea to rename your back ups so you know which one you would like to restore.

To restore, open Bootstrap again. Click on Bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery, this will put you back into clockwork. Go down to Backup/restore, enter. Click backup. Now you should see a list of backups, hopefully you renamed them so you know which one you want. There should be a list of no’s and a yes after you select the one you would like. Select Yes and now your phone should start to restore.

If you did not understand this very well I suggest looking here (it is a complete guide to bootstrap) Thanks maderschramm

For more information click here, I used this guide to root and backup my own phone. I do not take credit for this guide.

Video!!!
[video=youtube;P1mG7BIvkUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1mG7BIvkUo[/video]
I hope this helps some people

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the OP's request this thread was reopened and the other duplicate thread was closed. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

jco.danbury

Reaction score
What version were you on? Settings>About Phone>System Version

I'm showing: Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Are you on 2.3.15 or 2.3.340?

Also, have you been able to un-root after using z4root? If so, how?

Thanks!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Thanks!

it should work for both. and theres a button to unroot that appears after u root

jco.danbury

Reaction score

Thanks!

it should work for both. and theres a button to unroot that appears after u root

Just to be clear, how sure are you when you say "should work"? Have you tried on either version?

And about the unroot button, have you tried it? If so, on what version? Did it work? I've heard of unroot functionality not working, especially on the DX.

I just want to make sure I'm not enjoying a big bowl of Boot Loops after I try this.

3xamerican

Reaction score
z4root1.3.0.apk virus

Fellow "smarter than me" friends,

I am a above average user who trusted this forum for rooting my driod x, used the z4root1.3.0.apk link which contained a virus, wtf! Open source to me means trusting fellow folks that hate the bs machine, why the embedded virus? Please help a comarad out and provide a safe root to the droid x. Thank you