Z Flip 3 review

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
There are a ton of reviews out there for this phone so I'm going to try and not rehash them. I'm just going to give some quick thoughts on this phone.

It's been almost a week and I really like it. The biggest issue people bring up is the battery. It's really not a problem for me. I've gone back to using my tablet more so the phone is lasting me all day unless I'm working and it's slow like now and I'm spending a bit more time on it. I put it back on 120 refresh and it doesn't seem to affect the battery that much.

I did turn on the protect battery feature thinking that the phone will be plugged into a charger more often but I don't think that'll be the case. I'll probably end up turning that off. If you're a power user this phone is not for you. For me, the battery seems like it'll last me all day.

The crease in the screen doesn't bother me much at all. Like most have said, you get used to it pretty quickly. I did.

With respect to build quality, it's solid. It feels really nice in my hand. The hinge is stiff and feels strong.

A few people have mentioned that they find themselves not using the phone for every little thing because you have to open it. It's not much effort to do that but I understand what they mean. I can check messages and notifications from the front window or my Gen 5 watch when I'm home and wearing that. (I don't wear that at work.) So I don't open it as much so I don't get distracted by all the other things that I usually check when it's in my face.

I know most of this has been said already but the reviewers were right. This is a nice phone and I don't regret getting it like some have.

Obviously my favorite part is the flip. It's cool and different. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough especially when they became more common but what won't wear off is not having a huge slab phone hanging on my hip. It's so nice to carry and use.

If I had one gripe or one suggestion for improvement it would be to make the outside screen more functional. There is so much potential there. Motorola did a nice job with that on the Razr.

Those are my simple thoughts on this phone. Bottom line is I was going back and forth between the S21 and this. My wife's S21+ is nice but I like this more. I'm glad I went with it.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Awesome man.. I'm happy you digging it.. Some good thoughts... I plan to add on here once I receive mine and can run it through the paces....

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I just need to add this. This is my first Samsung phone. In the past I've had LG, Motorola, and HTC and have run Nova on every phone but this next app is new to me but I'm sure to most of you this is old news.

I just discovered Good Lock. I had to put that out there real quick. Now I'm going to go explore it a bit. See ya soon.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just need to add this. This is my first Samsung phone. In the past I've had LG, Motorola, and HTC and have run Nova on every phone but this next app is new to me but I'm sure to most of you this is old news.

I just discovered Good Lock. I had to put that out there real quick. Now I'm going to go explore it a bit. See ya soon.
Good Lock is the best..you will have fun with it.. also use Theme Park... under family... BTW I found out you can use Google store icons now going through Theme Park ...

I'm set up .. phone came in around 4 pm and I had dinner out ..so while I got ready Smart switch wifi over my settings and apps from ZF3 and I'm pretty much all good ..a few apps I need to login ...

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Nice, congrats. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow looking around Good Lock. Most of the things I like doing with Nova can be done with GL, but not all. I really like side panels but I know I'll probably lose them if I use Nova. I used to use a similar app called Pie Control but it doesn't work right with gestures, only buttons and I like gestures. The more I explore the more I'm liking Samsung.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nice, congrats. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow looking around Good Lock. Most of the things I like doing with Nova can be done with GL, but not all. I really like side panels but I know I'll probably lose them if I use Nova. I used to use a similar app called Pie Control but it doesn't work right with gestures, only buttons and I like gestures. The more I explore the more I'm liking Samsung.
Side panels stay with 3rd party launcher... Only thing I miss is the gestures with Nova launcher..

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks, I'll check it out.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Security and update just hit this morning on September now
Just found out that the Fold 3 and Flip 3 now have the Ram plus virtual 4GB feature. It came with this update. It can be found under battery and device care--->memory.
Screenshot_20211001-001607_Device care.jpg

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Just found out that the Fold 3 and Flip 3 now have the Ram plus virtual 4GB feature. It came with this update. It can be found under battery and device care--->memory.
View attachment 89411
Oh yes I saw this on the other forum thanks for sharing my friend and since the update my phone seems to be running better with the battery

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Oh yes I saw this on the other forum thanks for sharing my friend and since the update my phone seems to be running better with the battery
Mine too. I also found an app to force on LTE because I'm on the edge of 5G and usually don't get it.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
One thing I noticed about this app is that you need to reselect LTE every time you restart your phone.

As far as battery life goes I'm very happy with it. I have plenty of life left at the end of the day.

Last edited: