Yup I Botched It Forgot to Unroot Before OTA - What Now?

chetqwerty

Reaction score
Like it says. Figure I'm going to be neck deep in command line crap but its the wifes phone so forget about sbf'ing she'll kill me! Forgot her phone was rooted and half way through i thought ooops i know this is not going to be good! Desperately need advice. Thanks

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's the problem?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
C

chetqwerty

Reaction score
i dont have root any longer and the new one click is not working. guess the old superuser and su are causing problems?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sbf would probably be the easiest way.

random rom'd X

OP
C

chetqwerty

Reaction score
Like I said, cant sbf she'll kill me if she has to redo everything! I knew I wasn't going to get an easiest way method just want to know how. Thanks

Raman

Reaction score
Chet I have the exact same problem.... superuser is interfering after i updated with the OTA. SBF is not an option as my wife will kill me for losing alot of data. Im trying to give the command line route a go. I cant get adb shell to start with #, always $. If you find the solution please let us know! Ill be trying too

Like I said, cant sbf she'll kill me if she has to redo everything! I knew I wasn't going to get an easiest way method just want to know how. Thanks

OP
C

chetqwerty

Reaction score
Here you go Ramen this fixed the problem:

Connect your phone
[FONT=&amp]- open a command (as administrator) window type adb shell
- you should see a $ symbol, (if you see a # sign skip next step) now do the following
- su
- now you should see a # symbol
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
- rm /system/bin/su
- rm /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system[/FONT]
- type exit

That should remove the remnants of the previous root then you can use the new MotoOneClickRoot method.

Oh and make sure USB Debugging is checked. My USB connection happened to be on PC Mode actually forgot to check it otherwise i would have set it to charge only or usb only, but it worked so there you go!

Wife is none the wiser and her adds are gone again! Good Luck

Raman

Reaction score
Awesome! lots of searching and the one thing that worked. Thank you!