You Can Now Enable Pixel 2 Always On Display On Nexus 6P, Pixel, and Pixel XL

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-pixel-always-on-display-1024x899-jpg.78062

One of the new features included with the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL is the Always On Display. The feature has not officially made its way to older Google devices like the Pixel, Pixel XL or Nexus 6P, and it may never since Google likes to give their fans encouragement to buy new devices with exclusive features. That being said you can now Enable the feature on the 6P, Pixel and Pixel XL thanks to Android 8.1 and Substratum even without root. There is a complete tutorial at the link below. If you are interested in this feature it seems to be pretty easy to enable.

via XDA

Attachments

• Google-Pixel-Always-on-Display-1024x899.jpg
    Google-Pixel-Always-on-Display-1024x899.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 3,676

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Can someone explain why this is so great? Always on? Like it.s never off? Why? What's wrong with the 'old' way'? Screen shows a notification when you get one. And again when you pick up the phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's only on activates when you get a notification or phone detects your movement in front of it. Otherwise the screen is off.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's only on activates when you get a notification or phone detects your movement in front of it. Otherwise the screen is off.
Soooo what my Motorola's have done for years? And isn't this also already a stock Android feature? I thought it was.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hey @Sajo ; have you seen this great 'new' feature? Bwahaha
Yes. I'm still trying to understand though. AOD is obviously one of the parents / features that Google took from Moto (Active Display was introduced in 2013 Moto phones). I thought AOD was part of stock Android starting around last year? Or does each manufacturer have to incorporate it into their phone? I haven't had a blinking LED light since 2013 and love it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I thought it was already part of the OS too. I swear I had the option on my T2 in the standard settings. Maybe not though.