Yet another rooting question...Sorry

Fera6037

Reaction score
Hey guys i realize you have had a millions questions about this already and i apologize, i just figured i would make a new thread specific to my question so i could get this cleared up as quick easily as possible..

im not new to technology but i am new to rooting and things like that so please bear with me.. here we go.

im as fet up with motoblur as everyone else here, and ive been eyeballing different ways to make a change. what i would like to know is how much of a difference rooting would make as opposed to just configuring launcher pro.. i know the general idea behind rooting with custom themes and things like that, just not in much detail. but would it be more beneficial to go with the root option as opposed to just lpp. i know some people actually use lpp with a rooted phone as well.. so im just trying to take in all the options.

so if some generous person/people could maybe explain in a nutshell what all i could do with a rooted droid 2 or rooted with lpp as opposed to just throwing lpp over unrooted motoblur.

sorry if im being a bit broad, im just trying to wrap my head around this before i make a decision. and there is so much crap on rooting to sift through, i figured i would just cut to the chase.

i apologize again for beating the dead horse
Thanks in advance though.

JLags917

Reaction score
if you want to hide motoblur homescreens just install lpp..but if you want it gone completely out of the system i would root and install a custom rom

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks for the reply JLags,

i know that much already, its just the latter half that im looking for more clarification on. I am not very familiar with the details of rooting and what some of the common/most useful options are that it will give me

droidmatic

Reaction score
Custom Rome are really great, they make things run faster, in some cases save battery, and give you more functionality. I've flashed a few roms, but my fav by far has been liberty. Go check it out. Once you install a rom, you can also install a theme over it to give you some more graphic niceness.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks for the reply droidmatic, that helped me get one step closer to understanding this.

so say for instance i flashed the liberty rom, what all does that enable me to do? and as opposed to another rom?

if i am correct i dont exactly even need a rom after i would root the phone right? what does a rom give as opposed to just a stock root?

thank you for helping me out instead of just brushing me aside to another post or something. it is just much easier to outright ask the questions i have.

JLags917

Reaction score
it really depends on what your looking to do with it... my friend runs stock verizon dx unrooted and is cool without having the ability to theme, tether, overclock, remove apps, motoblur or anything along those lines so i just hooked him up with launcher pro. we even get the same quadrant and linpack scores when im running the stock 1ghz kernal...i just personally think blur is a battery killer

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks JLags but you arent really answering my questions specifically about rooting

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
Basically I think you need to ask yourself "What do I want to do with my phone?" Is tweaking important to you? Are you concerned with your battery usage? Do you want to be able to change themes? Do you want wireless tether? Be able to take screenshots? Do you like the way some folks have they're phones set up? Like the way certain themes look? If you say yes then root...if not then don't.

I'm rooted running Squidleys Rom....but I said yes to all the questions I asked you.

Hope that helps

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
i in fact do say yes to those questions lol. im just still trying to clear a few things up.

questions like what do roms actually enable me to do and what are the differences between roms? are they purely aesthetic or what?

and why do some people combine lpp with rooted devices?

want a droid

Reaction score
Roms have different features that make your experience better than stock. A lot of roms get rid of a majority of the "bloatware" supplied by Motorola. These "bloatware" apps are known to cause the phone to run slower and eat up battery. There are also other features like being able to throw a theme on your phone and being able to reboot the phone by holding down the power button and selecting it.

You'll have to read up more on each rom to figure out which is best for you. A link to the list of roms available is in my signature.

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks want a droid that was very helpful,

so what leads people to use lpp with their rooted devices? to they overlap a rom with it or is it mearly just rooted and they use lpp instead of a rom?

how risky is the actual root/flash process?

Nods_Dad

Reaction score
People use LPP for what it does...they like how they can configure the home docks, just basically a different launcher....best thing is if your friends don't have it download it and try it...as with most things your the only who knows what you like. I use LPP and have since the 2nd week of me getting this phone

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
right but i thought that roms changed the dock and launcher and things like that, am i wrong?

do they use it with a rom or instead of a rom?

droidmatic

Reaction score
Roms will change the dock, and each one is different in how it does that. The point of apps like launcher pro and adw is that they really let you customize the launcher, transitions between screens, and things like that. You do not need to be rooted to do that.

The point of rooting is that once rooted, you can make changes to the system folder. So all of that crap like nfs, kindle, blockbuster, and things like that, you can freeze or uninstall. Once rooted you just need to dl titanium pro from the market. Once rooted you can also overclock, and many other things, you'll just need to dl the apps to do those things.

Now, probably one of the coolest things about rooting is the ability to flash a custom rom. I'm not an expert, but basically roms are a replacement for motoblur entirely, and depending on the rom, will give you a faster, better experience. You can check out the rom section to learn about the roms themselves, and look at the stickies in the hack section for some good tutorials.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
thanks for the informative response,

what are some of the better or more popular roms?

how risky is rooting and is there a specific guide you guys know of that i should follow thats better than others?