Yeah another which phone should I get

jayg84

Reaction score
I'm up for a upgrade. Looking at Razr Maxx, GNEX, and Rezound but mainly the first two as the Rezound is frekin huge. Anyways, was planning on getting the gnex all along but now that I've done research I can't decide.

Razr Maxx - Better Sound, signal, camera, and huge battery.

GNEX - Better Screen, cooler looking to me, first to get support.

Here is where I'm stuck, with the Razr Maxx I can root it, rom it, overclock it, use live wallpapers, run 4g, full graphics, and install all the widgets I want while having a battery all day long. I keep seeing on forums that peeps with the GNEX have to use black wallpapers, no widgets, turn 4g off, etc. to get through a day. Someone please persuade me with proof to get the GNEX as I think its looks cooler has a better screen, but if it can't make it through the day running everything I want, whats the reason. Seriously, my OG runs 3g all day, live wall paper, widgets (beautiful widgets, facebook, twitter, espn, bookmarks, beautiful weather), custom rom, overclocked to 1ghz and does not studder very often yet if I get the GNEX it won't be able to do half that and make it 5 hours.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I'm up for a upgrade. Looking at Razr Maxx, GNEX, and Rezound but mainly the first two as the Rezound is frekin huge. Anyways, was planning on getting the gnex all along but now that I've done research I can't decide.
"Huge" is relative...the Rezound is thinner and lighter than my Droid 1. And the GNex is 4.65"...that is not a small phone.

Razr Maxx - Better Sound, signal, camera, and huge battery.
The general consensus is that it also has the best CPU. It can use 64-gig SD cards. Not rootable yet, and you can expect Motorola to be assholes about rooting...its what they do. The Droid 1 is NOT the norm for Motorola...they do not like it when people root their phones.

GNEX - Better Screen, cooler looking to me, first to get support.
Also is the only phone to have embedded NFC. No SD slot =(. Easily the most rootable of the 3. No hardware buttons (all nav controls are software only).

Rezound has the best pixel density (better than the Retina Display) and color reproduction. The best camera. The best GPS (and IMO, the best 4G). Battery is removable and it has an SD slot. As with the Razr, 64-gig SD cards have been confirmed to work with it. HTC now allows you to unlock the bootloader.

Here is where I'm stuck, with the Razr Maxx I can root it, rom it, overclock it, use live wallpapers, run 4g, full graphics, and install all the widgets I want while having a battery all day long. I keep seeing on forums that peeps with the GNEX have to use black wallpapers, no widgets, turn 4g off, etc. to get through a day. Someone please persuade me with proof to get the GNEX as I think its looks cooler has a better screen, but if it can't make it through the day running everything I want, whats the reason. Seriously, my OG runs 3g all day, live wall paper, widgets (beautiful widgets, facebook, twitter, espn, bookmarks, beautiful weather), custom rom, overclocked to 1ghz and does not studder very often yet if I get the GNEX it won't be able to do half that and make it 5 hours.
And if you run 3G, you can do that on all of these phones as well. You can use apps to turn off 4G if you want.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the razr probably. I cannot have a phone without SD. The Razr is also faster and has better battery life.

OP
J

jayg84

Reaction score
razr is rooted using bootstrap, can even get ics roms. I like the rezound but its thickness and small battery hurts

robert70

Reaction score
Having an x2 that I absolutely love and comparing those 3 phones as well as I am looking to upgrade, I would have to go with the razr I'm not a big fan of moto by any means, however I do t care for Sammy's build quality and never really liked HTC all that much which only leave LG and Moto, so the razr it will be.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
First I will admit I am a moto guy all the way and so my opinion is biased since I probably will never buy anything but Motorola. With that said, my wife and I have gone from D1 to Dx to D3(her) and RAZR(me) with never an issue.

Obviously all phones have their pros and cons but the only downside to the RAZR is the locked boot loader. Of course, it still has plenty of support out there with Roms so that really isn't an issue. I had my Dx forever with a locked boot loader and it never slowed me down from flashing roms.

However, I will say that for the three months I have had the RAZR, I have flashed every available Rom out and always go back to stock. I really do believe moto designed this thing as close to perfect as you can get. Non removable battery means nothing to me and the battery life is more than adequate. I personally would not pay $100 just for extra battery but that is because I have never been in a position where my RAZR ran out too soon.

I really can't say anything about rezound or GNex because I have only played with them or experimented and I just was not impressed.

Sent from my XT912 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Also, not that my wife's opinion means much to strangers but when she saw my RAZR for the first time she was jealous and kept picking it up to play with it herself.

The first time she saw the GNex, she said, "eh, I don't like the look of it."

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't make it through the day? Running Android Revolution HD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Also, curious why no-one it's throwing the Spectrum into the discussion. The only true HD screen available.
Um...what makes it more "true" HD than the Rezound?

Generally people poo poo the Spectrum because it is LG, and LG is not known for high quality stuff. They also have a reputation for crappy support. The Spectrum might change that, but they have some proving to do. The Fugly UI probably doesnt help.

It has a mediocre camera and only 4 gigs internal storage. Other than the IPS display, I cant really think of anything about it that is all that special.

t35rk

Reaction score
Also, curious why no-one it's throwing the Spectrum into the discussion. The only true HD screen available.

The spectrum suits not the OP.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Quality over quantity for me. Someone can give me the razr maxx for a free upgrade and I would keep the nexus. Despite the problems the nexus may have, I still wouldn't trade it for a razr or a rezound. And ive had phones from both of these companies.

This nexus will not be old news until the next one comes out on Verizon. We can talk about the razr in two months when the Droid terminator or something like that comes out.

The nexus is just so beautiful and feels perfect in your hand.

Resound is bulky. And the razr feels like I ripped a tile out of the kitchen, put an antenna in it and use it as a phone. 720p screen all the way wouldn't give it up for better battery. Besides I've always wanted to own a true Google phone...nexus for me.

Reaction score
Quality over quantity for me. Someone can give me the razr maxx for a free upgrade and I would keep the nexus. Despite the problems the nexus may have, I still wouldn't trade it for a razr or a rezound. And ive had phones from both of these companies.

This nexus will not be old news until the next one comes out on Verizon. We can talk about the razr in two months when the Droid terminator or something like that comes out.

The nexus is just so beautiful and feels perfect in your hand.

Resound is bulky. And the razr feels like I ripped a tile out of the kitchen, put an antenna in it and use it as a phone. 720p screen all the way wouldn't give it up for better battery. Besides I've always wanted to own a true Google phone...nexus for me.

+1..

Creed

Reaction score
Just one clarification, the razr maxx doee not actually have the highest cpu.

The question is simple but only you can answer it:
Performance vs. Battery

The battery on the galaxy nexus is not bad it usually lasts an entire day but despite that, the razr is simply much better. But, the galaxy nexus has much better hardware and a much better dev community plus it has pure ice cream sandwich goodness.

OP
J

jayg84

Reaction score
The only hardware that is a little bit better on the gnex is the processor and screen. The speakers, radios, camera, etc. are better on the razr. I really wanted the gnex but the poor sound levels, ****ty camera, and battery issues have made my mind up. If at least the sound and camera were good then I would probably go with the gnex but the fact that those pieces of hardware suck and the fact that I would not be able to use auto brightness, overclock, live wallpapers, widgets, 15-30 minute sync, and notifications and use it moderately and make it 5 hours then with a charge stinks. The Razr Maxx has a better package all around, it will be developed for the next year and half or more (probably more as the droid 1,2,x,x2 are still be developed for by MIUI, liquid, cryn, etc.) and it will be able to do everything I want and last 12 hours or more.

Sure I could buy some extra batteries for the gnex but it would still have bad low level sound and a bad but fast camera. I love my D1 but the camera and speakers on it are horrible and it seems that the gnex used the same ones.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Lol I wouldn't use the camera argument. Motorola makes the worst cameras out of any Android.

The nexus may not have a ten mp camera but the sensor is top notch.

And to be honest the nexus feels a lot better in the hand.