Yahoo! Mail on WiFi Gives "Connection Error"

Raj

Reaction score
I've been having this issue with my Yahoo! mail on Droid. I can get/send my emails fine using Verizon's 3G network. However, when I switch my connection settings to WiFi, all my messages disappear upon refresh and I get a a message saying: "Connection Error." My other Internet apps (including GMail) work fine on WiFi. After switching back to the 3G network and performing refresh, the Yahoo! Mail reloads all the messages and works fine. I checked this issue on 2 phone sets and on work and home WiFi networks. How do I make the Yahoo! mail work on WiFi connection? Is anybody else having this issue?

rlandon

Reaction score
Mine has the same issue using POP3 accounts. I also noticed that the Droid music player and other apps won't work if I had previously enabled WiFi (say for DroidLive) and then disabled. I end up rebooting the phone. My WinPro6.1 Samsung would keep all connections active and run all programs. This seems to be my only peeve with the phone. I had hoped 2.0.1 would have fixed it.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No this has been reported, most believe it's got something to do with the IP addressing (or just checks your phone). The reason is because yahoo technically charges for it's yahoo plus email accounts, which is what you really should have to access their networks from pop3, and to forward your emails to another account. The way we have set up the yahoo account, is through a MOBILE connection, so i think once it sees that it's no longer a mobile connection, it doesn't allow you to get there.

rlandon

Reaction score
I'm not using Yahoo but my own domain account and it's having the issue on WiFi. Switching it back screws up the 3G although it is showing it working on the status bar, that's when my apps decide to quit work working.

Start your phone and play a music file. Enable wifi and disable back to 3G, then try that same music file again. Mine gives an error message stating it doesn't support that file format (mp3). That's just one example. So if I listen to DroidLive via wifi, I have to reboot afterwards to get my mail working again via 3G.

Panama City

tono80

Reaction score
same problem here.

I have the same problem. Man, that is annoying. Something the Android people should've thought about before releasing. I wonder if iPhone have all these sort of problems, such as these and force closes...

Sal

Reaction score
No this has been reported, most believe it's got something to do with the IP addressing (or just checks your phone). The reason is because yahoo technically charges for it's yahoo plus email accounts, which is what you really should have to access their networks from pop3, and to forward your emails to another account. The way we have set up the yahoo account, is through a MOBILE connection, so i think once it sees that it's no longer a mobile connection, it doesn't allow you to get there.

I wonder if that relates to the thread I started today:

2.1's new Yahoo mail update sounds messy!
There's a weird footnote in the official Verizon pdf (link below) on the update saying that either Yahoo mail and/or the new sign-in or something "is not available when using Verizon wifi."

Wondering what that even means and wanted to alert people. I use wifi on my droid whenever I'm home. And it's verizon's service...

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/moto_droid.pdf

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, so many talking about how wifi messes up the droid. And here I thought I might be nuts, having had wifi off for over 3 weeks and having zero problems w/ my droid.

As for the yahoo problem, I wonder if you need to switch your SMTP port setting to 587 (as opposed to 25) to bypass your ISPs spam protections. Just a stab in the dark.

tono80

Reaction score
I get it now

Thanks for all that provided insight. I guess it's not really a problem other than you just have to pay for Yahoo upgrade to use it as a non-mobile device, since when you use WiFi, it doesn't see it as a mobile device but as a computer. It would be sweet if they figure out a way to show that it is still a mobile device even if you connect through WiFi...

joelang

Reaction score
yahoo over wifi

You can use maildroid for yahoo: https://slideme.org/application/maildroid-096-beta, it will also work over wifi.

The update from verizon for 2.1 will probably be pop3 anyway and not imap. They have an incoming.yahoo.verizon.net for broadband users, so I bet they applied that...however, that is still pop3.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
if you are using a droid 2 in accounts choose yahoo mail instead of just email and it works over wifi perfectly. Just make sure you set everything up over 3g