xt912 unlocked for t-mobile?

doopypoopy

Reaction score
hi guys,

sorry if this is a SUPER-NOOB question, but I have googled for hours and haven't found a working answer...

Basically I have a xt912 that I got from verizon... I love the phone and I'd like to keep it and move somewhere with a cheapr contract. I am interested in t-mobile in particular...

I read online that if I put a sim card from a different company on the phone a menu would come up for an unlock code to be entered. fortunately I haven't purchased an unlock code yet, because a menu didn't come up at all. all my phone said was "incompatible sim inserted." I played around a bunch and could not find any way of inserting a different sim.

Thoughts, anyone? basically I just want to unlock my xt912.... if I can't I will have to ebay it and buy another phone that is probably not as good...

Thanks a lot!

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I don't know. My dad use to have a Droid Razr so I never really messed with his phone. I have a Razr M and I heard you can flash it to AT&T. I tried to put an AT&T sim card in it and it said sim not compatible. That's because you have to flash a rom to it first and then put the sim card in. I heard there is a rom for the Razr and Razr M to get it working on AT&T. My theory is that you can flash the rom for ATT ( I don't know where to get it sorry) unlock the phone and then you can use it on any gsm network.

Krenzy

Reaction score
When my phone was dead last week, I downloaded and installed the XT910 system on accident. I didn't know, and when I tried to call I had no service. Then I went into the About Phone menu and saw I was running the XT910 version. I don't remember if it was a CyanogenMod 11 thing or the actual system, but I'm leaning to CM11. Anyway I found the correct file and got back onto CDMA.

If it was just CM11, then would it not be feasible to download and install the GSM version and run a GSM sim?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
When my phone was dead last week, I downloaded and installed the XT910 system on accident. I didn't know, and when I tried to call I had no service. Then I went into the About Phone menu and saw I was running the XT910 version. I don't remember if it was a CyanogenMod 11 thing or the actual system, but I'm leaning to CM11. Anyway I found the correct file and got back onto CDMA.

If it was just CM11, then would it not be feasible to download and install the GSM version and run a GSM sim?

I did not get what you said. Are you saying that if you download the XT910 file you talked about you can flash it to your phone and use a gsm card? Because if you had no call service and you were using a cdma sim card chances are that flash file is meant to be used for gsm networks.

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yes and no. I'm on Verizon and intended to download the CDMA file; I accidentally downloaded and installed the GSM file, which led to no signal (obviously). My question to those who know more about it than I is can someone simply install the GSM version of CM11, remove the Verizon sim card and install a GSM sim card and obtain service? I successfully installed the XT910 file so installation can be done, just not sure about the service portion.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Yes and no. I'm on Verizon and intended to download the CDMA file; I accidentally downloaded and installed the GSM file, which led to no signal (obviously). My question to those who know more about it than I is can someone simply install the GSM version of CM11, remove the Verizon sim card and install a GSM sim card and obtain service? I successfully installed the XT910 file so installation can be done, just not sure about the service portion.

You would have to unlock the device first because the imei number is going to show as locked if you look up the imei number.

OP
D

doopypoopy

Reaction score
You would have to unlock the device first because the imei number is going to show as locked if you look up the imei number.

Ok, so let me get this straight: if I install the CDMA file (I assume that means if I flash my rom to a cdma file, do not know how to do that exactly but ok) to a tmobile rom then I will be able to unlock it and use it?

so here is the deal: flash a verizon xt912 to cdma, unlock, and then you can use it with tmobile?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Ok, so let me get this straight: if I install the CDMA file (I assume that means if I flash my rom to a cdma file, do not know how to do that exactly but ok) to a tmobile rom then I will be able to unlock it and use it?

so here is the deal: flash a verizon xt912 to cdma, unlock, and then you can use it with tmobile?

No. You don't flash the cdma file because it already has cdma firmware. In theory you are supposed to flash the t mobile file first then unlock then put the gsm sim in. I am not sure I never really messed with this phone though I have got my hands on one of these. I did my research and the people at XDA Developers got this phone working on t mobile.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
IIRC, there were some threads on this early on after the initial root was achieved and people mistakenly flashed the wrong ROM's (CDMA vs GSM) and ended up with bricks.

I guess though if you use safestrap and flash to one of the ROM slots, you can always reboot back to the stock ROM. Just be careful...

David

OP
D

doopypoopy

Reaction score
IIRC, there were some threads on this early on after the initial root was achieved and people mistakenly flashed the wrong ROM's (CDMA vs GSM) and ended up with bricks.

I guess though if you use safestrap and flash to one of the ROM slots, you can always reboot back to the stock ROM. Just be careful...

David

so there is no easy way to get this to work with t mobile? like, put a t mobile sim card in and put a code to unlock it?

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
so there is no easy way to get this to work with t mobile? like, put a t mobile sim card in and put a code to unlock it?

The only hardest part is choosing the rom file. Be careful when you choose a flash file or you can brick your phone. This happened to me once when I had my old Motorola Razr V3M. I tried to get rid of the crappy Verizon UI and replace it with Moto UI by flashing it with Alltel firmware and then replacing the Alltel prl file with the Verizon prl file. Since There is no Alltel service in my area Los Angeles. But I chose the wrong flash file and ended up with a brick. I did get a new Razr V3M then.

jp233

Reaction score
there have been long discussions about this on XDA Developers. Last I knew, no one had cracked how to get it to work on an XT912, I think due to the locked bootloader and not able to flash the right radio s/w.

If it's able to be done, I'd love to switch carriers one day, but then again it depends on how long I think this device is going to last.

lesteple

Reaction score
xt912 for verizon on us gsm network

I have tried for a couple of weeks to get a Verizon Droid Razr Maxx xt912 to work on AT&T, or any other US GSM carrier with no success because the phone is RIL locked to Verizon, which means you have to have access to the Motorola radio firmware to remove the lock. I rooted my phone using Razrblade, installed Safestrap Recovery, and flashed CM11 for both CDMA and GSM in two different ROM slots. I also applied the NV hack to location 1877 using RadioComm 11.12.2, but was not able to get an active AT&T or a Net10 sim for AT&T or T-Mobile to work in either CM11 ROM or the stock ROM. The closest it would come to working was immediately after rebooting the phone, I would get four bars with a 4G next to it that would almost immediately change to no service. I would go into the test menu using *#*#info#*#* and see either In service or Emergency calls only for the GSM service. Not sure what to do next. Maybe buy a new phone because Verizon service is just too expensive.

Electricintel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT192
Hi. I found a bunch of utilities for this phone (Droid RAZR Maxx XT192) and am compiling them into one. I have instructions for root, SafeStrap Recovery, Cyanogenmod 13, ( Marshmallow/ @NDroid 6), and AT&T gsm. I can unbrick it, etc... I'm working on unlocking it completely, all the way to NFC. Please reply if interested in help. I'll link a page to this later this week so you can access it. My files work with Win, Mac OSX and Linux.