Wow your friends with Street View

gatorbait

Reaction score
One of the first things I did after getting my Droid was to figure out how to pull up street view in the navigation. I eventually forgot how to do it, so I decided to reacclimate myself with the capabilities of Google Maps/Navigation.

Since others might not know about some of the ways to access street view, I thought I'd share. Please add to this thread if you know any other tips and tricks.

In Navigation:

• While in navigation, simply double tap on the screen to pull up a street view of whatever your next turn is. You can then click the rotate icon in the bottom-right corner to free roam in street view. I've found this to be helpful because you can locate recognizable buildings to easily pinpoint your turn from blocks away.
  • At the end of your route, a street view photo of your destination will appear on the screen. Again, you can click on the rotate button in the bottom-right corner to free roam.
In Maps:

• You can use the search button to locate a specific destination, which should appear on your map with a text bubble over it. Click on the text bubble and it will bring you to a screen with options that include "directions", "navigate", and "street view".
  • As an alternative to the above option, you can simply long press on any street in the maps app. A bubble will appear with the approximate street numbers and any nearby location of interest. Again, simply click on the text bubble to access street view.
  • And now for the option that is sure to wow you friends: after you have selected street view, click the menu soft button. One of the options will be for a compass view. Once you select this option, the street view will automatically rotate in relation to the compass bearing as you move your phone around! It's like a virtual reality version of standing at that particular street or intersection!

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. A very good little tutorial. I'll use it today and try, as I have a million times, to impress my wife!!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of the odd experiences with Google Navigation is using it to get home. It knows where I live so when I'm out and about, I simply say "Navigate to home."

When I arrive, it presents a photo of my house with the car I'm driving in the driveway. Surreal to say the least.

alm0614

Reaction score
One of the odd experiences with Google Navigation is using it to get home. It knows where I live so when I'm out and about, I simply say "Navigate to home."

When I arrive, it presents a photo of my house with the car I'm driving in the driveway. Surreal to say the least.

how does it know where you live?

and how would it know what car you are driving?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. A very good little tutorial. I'll use it today and try, as I have a million times, to impress my wife!!

And you need a Droid to impress her????

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

David

LOL, that's great... If that doesn't impress her he might want to think about the DilDroid app:icon_ banana: (I know, a little inappropriate, hoping he has a sense of humor, if not I'll remove it).

cisco0910

Reaction score

also can do what i have is i have a shortcut icon on one of my pages that'll automatically start navigating to home. Whichevers easiest for you i guess.:)

tg015577

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to Street View while in navigation mode? Until last week, I've been able to pull it up any time it was on one of their photographed roads. Now it won't show the Street View unless I look at the final destination, or if I exit navigation and use the search function.