Would you trade your Max for a Galaxy S3 ?

mkstn

Reaction score
Just curious to see what the Razor Max people think. If you had a choice which would you want? Both are nice and both have + and - features. So what do you all think?

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My personal opinion is no most definitely not, I have had nothing but Motorola Android phones and have been happy with all of them. Battery life on my phone is too good to give up for anything the S3 has to offer.

huskur

Reaction score
Had the Maxx (still do) and got a SG3. Maxx battery life is superior but that is all. The SG3 is smoother and the camera is just awesome in itself. I have had it for 3 days to see if I would like it better than the Maxx and the answer is yes. FYI- I get 14-18 hours out of the SG3 so I am still pleased.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
:clears throat: takes a deep breath... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!because I want the nexus moto that's coming at Christmas :) and the hd

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

huskur

Reaction score
You cannot formulate an opinion (true opinion) unless you have experience with both. No data issues to date. 4G retainment is better on the SG3. Calls are clearer, the gorilla glass is generation 2 and it lighter and more polished. All in all the SG3 is awesome. Though I will be keeping my Maxx also since both are micro sim. That way I can use the Maxx during the week at work and the SG3 on nights and weekends.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
My preference is still the Maxx over the gS3...there are definitely some nice things about it, but the Maxx is still my primary phone.

Things that have gone well with the gS3 - screen is nice, battery life has been good and call clarity is nice. However, the signal strength is not as strong as my Maxx and it didn't seem to transition to 4g as quickly (once not at all) as my Maxx did. I have also had 3 data drops (once requiring a reboot) to regain data.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and if you have a chance to try one out, do so...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You cannot formulate an opinion (true opinion) unless you have experience with both. No data issues to date. 4G retainment is better on the SG3. Calls are clearer, the gorilla glass is generation 2 and it lighter and more polished. All in all the SG3 is awesome. Though I will be keeping my Maxx also since both are micro sim. That way I can use the Maxx during the week at work and the SG3 on nights and weekends.

While I do agree with that, I have used my cousins phone enough to know the S3 has nothing to offer me over my MAXX. My 4G is solid all day, phone calls are fine, GG2 is meaningless to me since I have a great screen protector and don't plan on bending my phone in half. I think I will hold out at least till the end of this year to even consider a new phone. Again just my opinion which is what the OP wanted, FWIW.

S3 is a great phone no doubt about that, just not enough to tempt me away. Or pay full price for since I don't want to lose my unlimited data.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'll just copy and past my response from a thread that was posted a couple days ago asking the same question:

I have a S3 on the way. I'm going to try it out only because I'm addicting to having the latest and greatest. If I weren't that type of person, and I kept phones for the long haul, I'm pretty sure I'd hold onto the MAXX.

That said, here's what I see as the pros and cons if someone is thinking about switching:

Pros

- Larger screen with a higher resolution
- 2GB of RAM - With the way Android manages processes and apps, I'm not sure how big of a difference this will make now, but it definitely won't hinder anything.
- Much better camera - This is huge for me, but not for everyone.
- Removable battery - Nice for those times when you have a spare battery and no time/ability to plug into a charger.
- More accessories - All versions have exactly the same dimensions, so accessories for the S3 are universal.
- Some Touch Whiz features can be useful.

Cons

- Smaller battery (a huge con that could easily obliterate all of the pros)
- Worse reception - Samsung's CDMA/LTE smartphones have all had noticeably poorer reception compared to Motorola devices. While the reception on the S3 appears to be better than previous devices, it's still not up to Motorola's level, or even HTC's level. Definitely a major consideration if you are areas with weak signal often. It will impact not only your ability to send/receive calls and use mobile data, but also your battery life.
- Touch Whiz - This is really personal preference here, but I don't like Touch Whiz, plain and simple. There are some nice additions here and there, but overall, I strongly dislike the UI. The UI that Motorola uses, especially on ICS, is much nicer and far less intrusive. A custom launcher can remedy much of this, but not all of it.
- Inferior build quality - Even though they feel cheap, I think the S3 is built pretty well. It's just not the resilient tank that the MAXX is.

Overall, I honestly think the cons outweigh the pros for the vast majority of people. The battery life and reception of the MAXX alone are enough to wipe out any advantages the S3 has in my book. As I said before, I've got a S3 on the way only because I'm always wanting to try out new phones. But if I were the type of person who generally sticks with a phone for a period of time longer than 2-3 months, I would without question stay with the MAXX. If I do like the S3, and I find myself willing to live with the decrease in battery life and reception, I'll only be keeping it until the RAZR HD drops anyway...or the rumored HTC phone with a 1080p display.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Played with an S3 last night for several hours ( Yes, have an S3 in the house along with an iPhone 4S, 2 Maxxs and a Razr)

I could have any one of them because I pay for ALL of them :icon_eek: - I carry a Maxx and that answers that.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The Razr HD is one of two phones that I really want this year...I hope we see it soon.

Me too.. but I also wonder if/what the moto nexus will be like..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
All good answers....why can't someone make the ultimate phone. There are always compermises. All in all I think the S3 has the edge.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
All good answers....why can't someone make the ultimate phone. There are always compermises. All in all I think the S3 has the edge.

Depends. Overall functionality, doing the things "I" NEED a "Phone" to do.....make phone calls, get good solid reception, call quality, build quality, size, durability, BATTERY (2-3 Days).... - I give the Maxx the edge.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Have had the Maxx since February. Preordered an SIII and it came last Tuesday. As of last Saturday the SIII was already in the mail heading to it's new owner. There's my answer. :biggrin:

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
Have had the Maxx since February. Preordered an SIII and it came last Tuesday. As of last Saturday the SIII was already in the mail heading to it's new owner. There's my answer. :biggrin:

So tell us why? All agree the battery on the Max is superior but if it runs out you screwed. The S3 is very fast and has other features. I compaired a Razor (not the Max) for reception and it did not out perform the S3.