would an unlocked epic 4g work on verizon?

velocity92c

Reaction score
I really want to jump into the realm of 1ghz cpu/512mb of RAM but I have to have a physical keyboard as well and the d2's bootloader will prevent me from ever giving it a chance. Would an unlocked epic 4g work on vzw? It looks like a very solid phone.

cromo8

Reaction score
maybe you havent heard that the droid 2 has been rooted and they got past the bootloader, but anyways no you cannot use an epic 4g on vzw

cricket however you may

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
Rooting a phone has nothing to do with the bootloader. I doubt you'll see custom ROMs on the x or d2 anytime soon, koush's faux recovery or not.

cromo8

Reaction score
your doubts are most likely wrong, as even the droid x has themes on it right now Roms will follow through probably within couple weeks

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I don't think you really understand it if you think themes are anything like custom ROMs. The milestone has the same bootloader, has been out for 8 months or more and STILL has no custom ROMs. I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing ROMs on the dx or d2. Yes it is rooted, but that is just a very small first step. Even koush's recovery isn't a real recovery for the x, and he said it was incredibly tough even getting that working.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
Sorry if I came off a little hostile btw, but these faux recovery/ROMs they're working on will mean little to me without custom kernels, and until they actually get past the bootloader instead of just working around it, we won't see actual full ROMs. I'm amazed at what they've done already, but the milestone still hasn't been fully cracked open so I don't think the dx or d2 will be anytime soon. This is another reason I was wanting a samsung phone. It was rooted before it shipped and has an unsigned bootloader. I know we will see some custom ROMs in the next few weeks for the x, but they will likely be pretty unstable and not full feature ROMs, also without custom kernels.

cromo8

Reaction score
well i might be a fool for being hopeful BUT i think it will happen in the near future

agenthex

Reaction score
Wow, this got threadjacked rather quickly. I, too, want an Epic 4G (CDMA) to see if it would work on Verizon.

If anyone can get the ESN/MEID, they can call Verizon to find out if their network would accept it. I'd love to know the answer to this, as I think the Epic may be my next phone, but I'm stuck with Verizon (by preference and the fact that I don't pay the bill).

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Wait, why wouldnt it work if both networks use CDMA/GSM? wouldn't it just need to be activated on the vex network?