Worth Waiting for Gingerbread?

siriusgamer

Reaction score
I'm currently on 2.2 right now and I was just wondering if it's worth waiting for Motorola to release an official Gingerbread update for the Droid 2? I know that there is the monster leak, and some of the ROMs for the droid 2 are now being built from that leak but from what I've heard, the ROMs still sound a little buggy, e.g., signal issues, keyboard not working after a while, radio breaking, bluetooth problems. So, should I wait for the developers of those ROMs to fix those bugs, or for Motorola to release a fix for them?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
IMO, Motorola has abandoned the D2. I don't expect the GB update at all.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

C

Communisum

IMO, Motorola has abandoned the D2. I don't expect the GB update at all.

+1, and what burns is the fact that its not even a year later... dx still has support...

louy99

Reaction score
Yeah, im not counting on the GB4D2. Im running Zombie 1.71 and is amazing! I have also used CM7 and is flawless!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
siriusgamer

siriusgamer

Reaction score
I don't know if the problems and bugs that are on gingerbread outweigh the benefits that come with it. Even though the DX has gingerbread, its just as buggy as the D2 leak. I really should have waited another month and just have gotten a D2G.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know if the problems and bugs that are on gingerbread outweigh the benefits that come with it. Even though the DX has gingerbread, its just as buggy as the D2 leak. I really should have waited another month and just have gotten a D2G.

That's where I disagree. There is much more D2 developer support than D2G.

Either way, the only thing that /may/ keep me with Motorola in the future is that Google just bought them.

OP
siriusgamer

siriusgamer

Reaction score
That's where I disagree. There is much more D2 developer support than D2G. Either way, the only thing that /may/ keep me with Motorola in the future is that Google just bought them. Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Yeah, hopefully they unlock the bootloaders for the droid phones. Or at least when they release new phones, the bootloader won't be locked on them. Why would they lock down their phones anyway? Once a consumer buys their product, they get their money and we should be able to do what we want with the product.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, hopefully they unlock the bootloaders for the droid phones. Or at least when they release new phones, the bootloader won't be locked on them. Why would they lock down their phones anyway? Once a consumer buys their product, they get their money and we should be able to do what we want with the product.

The D2, D2G, and DX will never be unlocked.

Khiraji

Reaction score
I am running the Monster leak, and the only anomaly I've noticed is that sometimes the keyboard backlight doesn't turn on. If it's really dark in a room and my phone is asleep and I slide the keyboard open, sometimes it takes a few seconds for the backlight to come on... and sometimes not at all. If I expose the light sensor to a bright light though, then the backlight comes up right away as soon as it detects darkness again.

Other than that, my phone is faster, more responsive and a lot more stable. I've only ever had one random reboot in the month or so that I've had the GB leak installed. I say go for it! You won't be sorry.

JokerSeven

Reaction score
I too gave up on the official OTA GB.
So, I rooted and installed the leaked/rooted GB. I ran it for a while with zero issues and really liked it. It was light years beyond froyo.
In the end...I could not resist CyanogenMod 7. It has still has a few bugs, but they are very minor.