World Roaming Capability?

moparharn

Reaction score
Bonnie Cha from CNET in her youtube video review says one thing she would like to have seen improved is the world roaming capability of the Droid. What does she mean by this? I thought all Verizon phones would be similar in their ability to work around the globe. Will the Droid not work as well as say the BB 9700 or Storm 2 in global use?:confused:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No Verizon uses a network technology called CDMA, which is not the same type of network technology that most of the world uses. Most of the world uses a technology called GSM. GSM networks have sim cards in their phones. The storm / storm 2 were made with GSM and CDMA network technology inside so they could be on both networks. Unfortunately this version of the phone verizon is using only supports CDMA.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
while it would be nice to be able to use the same phone when you travel abroad, verizon's roaming charges are astronomical. i always buy a cheap phone and prepaid sim card. it literally pays for itself.

debroq

Reaction score
Does this phone have wifi capability? Could you use Skype on this phone?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it has WiFi, and using skype might be possible, not sure of the VoIP capabilities.

sonyjohn

Reaction score
I just went for a holiday in USA .I was in trouble to search out some factors about roaming charges.I asked to many of my friends about some free international incoming none of them had an idea about this.And i made google it.and couple of business men suggested
It was pretty surprising that i found a free incoming call for international roaming.Its name is xxsim.

changes and data rates in:

Israel - EUR0.97 instead of EUR1.85
USA - EUR0.51 instead of EUR0.70

it was pretty good for me. Hopes ok for you??