Roaming - Hard Reset didn't fix

misfit

Reaction score
I went to Cancun last week. I was told to use *228 when I got there. I tried that, but the Spanish menu was foreign to me. I had the receptionist at the resort listen to the menu, but she said it didn't appear to apply to me.

When I got back on Saturday, I called Verizon to cancel the global data plan and told them it had the triangle indicating roaming since I got back. They suggest *228.

I hung up and tried *228. It didn't work as I was on a non-Verizon tower. I called back from a land line. We tried pulling that battery and *228 and then something involving a number like ##2277xxxx

After doing this, I was still roaming. I was told that it should correct itself over the next 24 hours. After 48 hours, I was still roaming.

Today I called and got the the third tier (highest level) support person (Darryl) at Verizon. After discussing the situation, he suggested a hard reset. I told him that I had a lot of time and effort into setting up the settings and applications on my Droid. He said that some of those 'may' come back due to the over the air sync backup with Google. (I am skeptical.)

So after the hard reset, done from the settings - privacy, my phone came up and is still roaming. I can not activate it. I am told to wait until I drive downtown to Minneapolis to work and try activating it again.

Until then (and maybe after), I have no phone (incoming or outgoing) and no text messages or data. Basically, I have been broken by Verizon technical support. Darryl also mentioned that I may have to get a new phone sent to me.

I have tried the power - X and camera volume up hard reset procedure with and without the SD card. It still came up roaming.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Mark:mad:

OP
M

misfit

Reaction score
I told Verizon to call my office number at 9:05 to continue working on the problem. I tried to Activate the phone as I drove past the Mall of America and then again when I got downtown Minneapolis.

Of course after waiting until after 9:30 with no call back, when I went to get water, he called.

Now I am on the phone with another guy explaining it all over again.

All I can do on my phone is attempt activation (which fails) or call 911.

Would this be a good reason to root your phone?

OP
M

misfit

Reaction score
After two hours on the phone with Two more Verizon experts the mystery remains. We were able to get by the activation screen by pressing the four corners, and we were able to use the ##7764726 codes to re-enter my mobile number.

This got my phone to function again, but it is still roaming and my data is not working.

Verizon has given up. They suggest I get a new phone, which I will try to do a Best Buy (where I bought this one) when I leave work.

The biggest question is... do I want another Droid?