sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
android.cvpcs.org

i'm working on updating the wiki site to the new device overlay, and making it a little more user friendly.

for those of you that are interested on how i do this... i format my PC every time i do a major update to this and o through the steps myself, documenting any changes and updating the guide as needed.

for those that are interested here is the current status of the pages.

Basic Steps for Any User
1.Download/Install SDK aka ADB - Updated
2.Setup Device Rules - updated
3.How to root the Droid - Windows Instructions - unchanged
Development Environment
1.Installation of Java 1.5 or Java5 - unchanged
2.Download the Source - updated
3.Setup Eclipse - updated(still needs screenshots resized to look decent)
4.Basic Vendor Setup - updated

Build modifications - i'll look at tomorrow

update for 6/29/10
Wife's Home, everythign is on hold till tomorrow sorry guys.. wife comes first(whether she believes it or not)
update for 6/30/10
working on it again just have to upload the pics for the eclipse walkthru and insert them into the guide, then on to the vendor setup.

DONE!! kind :p

Last edited:

Luxferro

Reaction score
I'm interested in compiling android. Been playing withe source the last couple of days. So would be nice to have a up to date complete guide. Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting in.

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
I think it's awesome how much all of you are doing for the android community. But, I seriously have to ask.... why on earth would you constantly reformat your PC instead of just virtualize a Linux install? Even if you want to reinstall, it'd take far less time. Plus, you could just do a snapshot right after a clean install, then roll back to that. Might save you some time :)

xfireguru

Reaction score
Fantastic job on the wiki. Been reading it over the last couple of days. I'm impressed at how complete (even in its uncompleted stage) it is.

OP
S

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
thank you :) my wife almost killed me over writing it. :p because it took me a month to gather everything together and type it up initially :p

dr2ww62

Reaction score
thank you :) my wife almost killed me over writing it. :p because it took me a month to gather everything together and type it up initially :p

Isn't it funny how that works. We always get in trouble for having "hobbies". :D Glad you're able to get in as much time as you do, I understand your battle. Thanks for all your amazing work! And I'm glad you're still able to say your family takes priority. Keep it up, we all appreciate it!

sneaky_zekey

Reaction score
when i get to the point of seting up eclipse classic 3.6.0 i get an error at the step of

"once eclipse has started click help>install new software
click add in the top right corner
name: android-sdk
click ok"

once i click ok then making sure its in the drop down box and developer tools is checked,i click next and get this following error

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Android Development Tools 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220)
Missing requirement: Android Development Tools 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220 (com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.feature.group 0.9.7.v201005071157-36220) requires 'org.eclipse.gef 0.0.0' but it could not be found

any ideas

edit after closing eclipse and reopening it,it seems to be working now. sorry.

Last edited:

jtbnet

Reaction score
Following this guide with only a few outside lookups it took me only 1 long evening to scrap the Windows Dev environment I had been strugging with for weeks and use WUBI to load Ubuntu on a P4 2.8GHz, 2GB Toshiba Laptop I had semi-retired (battery life was always the pits...) and following this guide had a successful full Android source build running!

THANXs Guys, you are the Best!

PS. I did learn a few things... just because you have been developing in Unix envs for years don't assume you know better :) ... Follow exactly! then only problems I had were one long line paste;

> sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java5-jdk

is better broken into a few smaller steps to see when one of the packages fails to install and thus the remaining on the line didn't either... all this meant was when some make failed go install the missing packages and all was well!

And Latest src wants java6/SDK1.6 to build...

jtbnet

Reaction score
android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/build.git/commit

yup they updated to 1.6 3 weeks ago... means i have to adjust the build again.... sigh... it gets old sometimes :p

Not so bad if this is what we got paid for :) ... Actually the current Ubuntu install from WUBI included 1.6;

> jtb@ubuntu:/$ java -version
> java version "1.6.0_18"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)

so it simplifies instructions a bit as nothing need be installed for JAVA so removes one linked section... for now at least :)