Working directly with Motorola for issues with my X

ace2525

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone on here has ever sent their phone to Motorola for repair/replacement. I'm very familiar with Verizon's 1yr warranty in which they will replace your phone with a refurb if there is a defect but I did not make the purchase from Verizon so it's not under my cell # in their system..

I have a stuck camera shutter and the middle of the screen touches the LCD causing a bubble in cold weather. I DONT have a receipt but I saw on Moto's website that when you send in a replacement they wanted a proof of purchase, although I do have the original box.

Can anyone comment on Motorolas customer service, will they service my phone without a receipt? Will they issue a replacement or attempt repairs first? Any insight into dealing with Motorola directly will be much appreciated!

Big_Ron

Reaction score
you should be able t get a receipt from VZW. if you need it. most people don't keep the receipt. what they are looking for is to see teh activation date to. to make sure its in the limit of the warranty. that would be my guess. i have the Phone ins so its doesn't matter. they will replace the phone no matter what.

OP
A

ace2525

Reaction score
I definitely cant get a receipt from Verizon, like I said I didn't purchase it and I know it wasn't purchased from Verizon, it was from a Walmart (according to a Verizon rep who tried to help me). Since the phone has not even been out for a Year, there is no way its not under warranty, so I guess I just have to hope for the best when I call Moto...

My biggest issue is that I don't have another VzW phone so I can't send the phone in until I have another phone so activate.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Does the person who DID purchase the phone know you have it? If so maybe they can help you get the receipt to help you out. If not you just might be out of luck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Outside of battery covers, I've never seen one person get a warranty repair from Motorola. I have seen cases where people have bought the phone from somewhere or someone else and Verizon has honored the warranty. And considering that the X hasn't been out a year yet they are still all under warranty.

I'm assuming Verizon is your provider if this is all a simple misunderstanding I don't think they'd have a problem honoring your warranty. Or is something going on that you haven't mentioned yet?

OP
A

ace2525

Reaction score
Outside of battery covers, I've never seen one person get a warranty repair from Motorola. I have seen cases where people have bought the phone from somewhere or someone else and Verizon has honored the warranty. And considering that the X hasn't been out a year yet they are still all under warranty.

I'm assuming Verizon is your provider if this is all a simple misunderstanding I don't think they'd have a problem honoring your warranty. Or is something going on that you haven't mentioned yet?

nope, I simply purchased this phone outright for $340 basically new, and turns out the phone was bought at a Walmart, and since my account has my Tour as my last purchased phone there is no warranty on my account so Verizon will not honor the replacement (additionally since it was from Walmart).

What are the chances I could go to Walmart with the box and them being able to scan and see it was purchased from them and under warranty, any chance for replacement?

MrKleen

Reaction score
That might work. But if not is the person you bought it from willing to help you out?

OP
A

ace2525

Reaction score
That might work. But if not is the person you bought it from willing to help you out?

I don't even know if I can contact him...

I initially emailed through craigslist which gives you a fake e-mail to direct to the real e-mail... I mean can Motorola really expect people to save receipts? They should be able to see the phone IMEI and know its under warranty, therefore should be repaired...

Rocko

Reaction score
Get the receipt, get an RMA from Motorola, send it in.

Horch it

Reaction score
verizon just wants their monthly payment...and they should replace with refurb to make sure you have a reason to keep paying every month

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon just wants their monthly payment...and they should replace with refurb to make sure you have a reason to keep paying every month

Agreed, I believe Verizon will honor the warranty.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Verizon Will not Honor the warranty if they do not have a record of you purchasing the phone from them.