Wondering how I should upgrade..

acedzero

Reaction score
So much for special upgrade offers...

My wife and I signed up for VZW in March. I got a Droid, her, the Droid Eris. I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, who told me the only way I can upgrade is if I buy the phone at full retail price ($569.99). If I go this way, does my line convert to a month to month or am I still under contract? We have a unlimited share plan.

I will either sell the Droid, or give it to my wife, and sell the Eris. I guss I was kind of hoping that I could upgrade another way but this seems to be my only option?

Should I buy the phone first, activate it then sell one of the other phones? Ading a line is not an option..

Last edited:

carpenter_22

Reaction score
it will not be a month by month you will still be with the contract you have.

Mojo

Reaction score
You signed a 2 year contract when you purchased the droid, yes? Why would you think that you would go on a Month to Month contract by purchasing a Droid X at retail cost. When you have not fullfilled your origanal contract?

Verizon's upgrade policy is nearly the same as any other US carrier out there.

Your primary line will become elegible at the 1 year mark. The second line will become eleigble at 20 months.

Just because you want the latest and greatest does not grant you a right to upgrade at anytime without fullfilling your origanal contract.

OP
A

acedzero

Reaction score
You signed a 2 year contract when you purchased the droid, yes? Why would you think that you would go on a Month to Month contract by purchasing a Droid X at retail cost. When you have not fullfilled your origanal contract?

Your primary line will become elegible at the 1 year mark. The second line will become eleigble at 20 months.

Just because you want the latest and greatest does not grant you a right to upgrade at anytime without fullfilling your origanal contract.
I had read somewhere that if you bought a phone at full retail, then you are paying the "non contract" price, thus you plan would be month to month.

Your reply seems to insinuate that I'm some low life scum that's looking for a way to screw someone out of money or something?

I have no problem paying full price for the phone. I was just seeing if there were other options. Hell even people like me who want (as you assumed) the "latest and greatest" would not turn down a bargain or better way?

I posted the question because I was looking for information, isn't what these forums are for? :(

jrl9851

Reaction score

I had read somewhere that if you bought a phone at full retail, then you are paying the "non contract" price, thus you plan would be month to month.

Your reply seems to insinuate that I'm some low life scum that's looking for a way to screw someone out of money or something?

I do not mind paying full price for the phone, that's what happens when you want the latest and greatest, right?

I posted the question because I was looking for information, isn't what these forums are for? :(

You're making my brain hurt.

What makes you think you can all the sudden get out of your original contract and go month to month if you buy the X at retail price? If you buy it at retail price, all that means is that you aren't adding another 2 year contract on top of your original 2 year contract.

Mojo

Reaction score
Did not mean to make you feel that way. Sometimes it is hard to read what my attitude is via text on the screen. Not trying to cut you down at all. If you would have purchased your origanal Droid at full retail and not signed a contract. Then yes, you would been able to be on a month to month service.

I see 10 of these threads pop up everyday, especially, when a new phone is getting ready to launch. I find it hard to understand that so many people have a hard time understanding the terms of the contracts they sign. That is all. So when I see these threads. I try to explain it in simple terms. Not trying to be mean.

OP
A

acedzero

Reaction score
How exactly am I making your brain hurt?

I really wasn't expecting to be flamed for this, I was just trying to get a question answered that's all.. not be treated like someone who's IQ is equal to their shoe size...

jrl9851

Reaction score
Did not mean to make you feel that way. Sometimes it is hard to read what my attitude is via text on the screen. Not trying to cut you down at all. If you would have purchased your origanal Droid at full retail and not signed a contract. Then yes, you would been able to be on a month to month service.

I see 10 of these threads pop up everyday, especially, when a new phone is getting ready to launch. I find it hard to understand that so many people have a hard time understanding the terms of the contracts they sign. That is all. So when I see these threads. I try to explain it in simple terms. Not trying to be mean.

I, on the other hand, am trying to be mean.

If you purchased a phone on a 2 year contract, and you are still in that contract, what makes a person think they can suddenly get out of their original contract by purchasing a different phone at full price? :icon_evil:

PS Just kidding about the mean part :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand. Everyone wants to upgrade to the latest phone out there, then once they get it something else is out and they start wanting that too.

Why can't people just live with their purchase. They gave you 30 days to try it out. After that it's yours until your next upgrade, or at least wait close to your next upgrade.

In 3 months something will come out better then everything else again. When does the madness stop?

OP
A

acedzero

Reaction score

I find the same thing when it comes to computers a lot of times. Maybe people feel better actually asking and getting some individual attention instead of taking the time to read and research themselves?

Kinda makes me think of a elementary school classroom or something... :)

Anyway, here was my line of thinking. Bought the original phones under contract. The price is subsidized so that they can make a profit by making you sign a contract, right? So if I buy another phone at full retail price, isn't that like buying out your contract since the cost of the phone is not subsidized? Wouldn't that mean that my line is no longer under contract but the other line still is?

I am probably missing something there, but its not important. Thanks for the answers, I'll have to think twice about posting here again though..

Last edited:

hendrix

Reaction score

I find the same thing when it comes to computers a lot of times. Maybe people feel better actually asking and getting some individual attention instead of taking the time to read and research themselves?

Kinda makes me think of a elementary school classroom or something... :)

Anyway, here was my line of thinking. Bought the original phones under contract. The price is subsidized so that they can make a profit by making you sign a contract, right? So if I buy another phone at full retail price, isn't that like buying out your contract since the cost of the phone is not subsidized? Wouldn't that mean that my line is no longer under contract but the other line still is?

I am probably missing something there, but its not important. Thanks for the answers, I'll have to think twice about posting here again though..

But you are still making payments on your original phone. If you go buy a car with a $100/month payment (yup, im cheap), give that car away and buy a new car out right (no payments on the new car). You still have that $100/month payment on the old car you gave away.

OP
A

acedzero

Reaction score
Okay, that makes more sense. Not sure why I didn't think of it that way (otherwise I would not have asked the question).

OP
A

acedzero

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand. Everyone wants to upgrade to the latest phone out there, then once they get it something else is out and they start wanting that too.
How many other phones out there have a screen bigger than the iPhone?
How many other phones out there can currently record in HD?
How many other phones come stock with a 1GHz processor?

Granted, this is certainly not the first or last time it will happen, but there's a lot of cool new stuff here? Added to the fact that the Incredible will be getting the HD recording in the form of an update? Yeah, I'm a bit jealous... LOL

Why can't people just live with their purchase. They gave you 30 days to try it out. After that it's yours until your next upgrade, or at least wait close to your next upgrade.
There was no phone at the time that was better than the Droid in my first 30 days. I've only had my phone for about 3 months. I was willing to blow off the Incredible, but now this. I know there are better phones coming out this year too but..well.... I would have felt better about it if I was, say, 6 months away from an eligible upgrade.

Then they are making all these "special exceptions" to get people to switch to the Droid X, and I can't even get in on that. Bad luck I suppose?

In 3 months something will come out better then everything else again. When does the madness stop?
Buyer's remorse is a powerful thing, and I think a lot of companies are starting to realize this.

Last edited:

didiwags

Reaction score
Yeah just because you buy a phone for full price does not mean you are out of contract!!! Your contract will still be vaild for 2 yrs on that LINE not the phone. You can change your phone all you want but the line will still have that contract unless you pay an EFT. I could change my phone daily if I wanted but it would have nothing to do with my actual contract!

Seven71ne

Reaction score
The way i see it, your under contract no matter what, regardless of what phone you have. Contract meaning - Plan - Meaning - Minutes, texts, data plan, bla bla bla. You can go to verizon start a contract, get a phone, and the next day, buy a new phone, and still be under the same contract.

Just because you get a new phone, it wont affect your contract (with the exceptions of data plans and whatnot, but i assume you already have that) The only thing a contract effects the phone, is the price you pay for the phone.

Ive had alot of arguements with verizon in my past, half the time they dont have a clue what there talking about, and i have to correct them... maybe i should just work for them haha!

Hope this helps!!
Seven