Wish I Could Set Up This Smart Action

RicKaysen

Reaction score
I leave the GPS radio turned off to conserve the battery. I just don't use Navigation very often. When I do, it would be nice if opening up the Nav app would automatically turn on GPS and turn it off when closed. And, yes, I do feel lazy.

DocsDad

Reaction score
I leave the GPS radio turned off to conserve the battery. I just don't use Navigation very often. When I do, it would be nice if opening up the Nav app would automatically turn on GPS and turn it off when closed. And, yes, I do feel lazy.

Unless you have an "app" that is using GPS for location running in the background, I believe just turning off the Nav app drops GPS. It will not drain battery on its own.

Can I get a confirmation or correction on this from someone out there?

Trash Can

Reaction score
Unless you have an "app" that is using GPS for location running in the background, I believe just turning off the Nav app drops GPS. It will not drain battery on its own.

Can I get a confirmation or correction on this from someone out there?

Yes, this is correct. The GPS is only on and active when needed by an app (nav, maps, etc).

Zandar

Reaction score
Honestly, I found that I didn't save any appreciable battery with the GPS antenna turned off. All it did was make it take forever to get a lock those few times I turned it back on for navigation or maps. Just leave it on, in my opinion.

Sliced from my RAZR

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree keep GPS on, off doesn't save any battery.

Armeo

Reaction score
I'm not a 100% sure about this, but GPS might be used by some apps that use location services during background updates. For example, a weather app/widget. I keep mine off anyway, and turn it on whenever required, even though I have location services turned off for most of my apps (I just keep it fixed as my home city as I rarely travel).

As far as using a smart action for it is concerned, there's no trigger for applications. But if you navigate only when driving and use a car dock or a bluetooth device while driving, you could have it as a trigger to turn the GPS on. That way you won't have GPS on all the time, but if you ever need it while driving, you'll find it on.

Last edited:
OP
R

RicKaysen

Reaction score
It's good to know GPS doen't impact battery life very much, but when it's checked in settings, I assume it's on whether an app is using it or not.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
My other phones I left GPS on and used in many cases to activate other options that drain battery with Tasker. Like turning on and of wifi based on when I'm in a location where I know I have GPS. Never found GPS to use that much power, I of course turned the GPS check on tasker to every 10 mins.