Wireless Tether Broken

Acid7711

Reaction score
Hey,

My wifi tether used to work (rooted htc incredible), however I was intrigued by the the thought of doing the Wireless N hack to mine. Wireless still worked, tethering however did not. I was smart, and made a copy of my original. It still did not work, it always gives me an error stating "Unable to start tethering. please try again".

Last night I even re-flashed my phone back to stock, rooted it, and still I get this same error. I've tried multiple versions of wifi tether, I've also made sure that I have the directory and firmware on the sdcard as stated on their website. I can not figure this out. I don't get what happened.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this to work again? It used to work just fine. I don't care about N anymore, I went back to stock, I just want the tether to work. Regular wifi works, connects, and operates fine. It's just this tethering application.

btw:

I'm thinking that superuser should ask for root permissions when starting.....it does not. Superuser is there, but it has nothing listed under it. I can easily get access to su, and I have root. I don't understand what's going on here or what to do.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Update!

I just literally found out through searching arond that through going into adb shell manually on the computer, end executing:

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /data/data/android.tether/bin
./tether start 1
When I run that straight from an adb shell on my computer, it works!!!
I just tested with my laptop, however I can NOT stop it from the phone after doing do. A reboot of the phone physically brings me back to it not working again with the same error as before.
I love this app and it's an asset to my work, but I need to figure out what's happening. I believe it to be a permissions error of some sort, but now sure what it is, why it's happening or what to do to fix it.

Could I be using the wrong version of su? I *think* I'm using the larger one that says "su: access granted, couresy of www.magicanddroidapps.com" upon executing su. Could this be why it's not working? If so, what's the correct way to rectify my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
Well...turns out SuperUser was messed up pretty bad.

I think it had something to do with using the larger SU instead of the smaller one. That is the correct one in case anyone else runs into this issue.

I did another complete downgrade, upgrade, then re-rooted, and went with the Wireless N driver upgrade, then everything went smooth! SuperUser was asking permissions and setting again as it should have, and everything is back working, including tethering!