Wireless Printing

Batman8

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeated topic but has anyone found a good Android app to print "wirelessly" from the Bionic to a networked printer? I have a basic HP PSC 2350 Multi-Functional Color Ink Jet Printer on my local network at home via my Macintosh. All I am looking for is an app that will search my local network and connect to attached printers, hopefully WITHOUT having to install additional desktop software on my Mac first. I was using "PrinterShare" for a while to print from my Droid 1 and Droid-X, but there seems to be something going on recently that is preventing the app from launching on the desktop/laptop side even though I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled it on my Macbook.

MotoPrint is GARBAGE and NEVER, EVER finds my printer!! I am also NOT a big fan of "cloud" applications either since I don't feel comfortable sending my private information through a cloud service.

Therefore, all I am looking for is an Android app that when connecting my Bionic via wifi, will search the network, find the printer, and let me print documents and web pages. Does anything like this exists? If so, I am having a hard time finding it and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I use PrinterShare. Not sure why you are launching it on the "desktop/laptop side" as it should only need to run on the Bionic itself. As long as the printer is available on the network, it should work.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Unbesorgt. I have always had to launch a small utility like app on my Mac that needed a name and password in order for me to be able to use PrinterShare and this app would normally launch once at each startup of my computer, but as I mentioned, now it won't run for some reason so the Bionic won't connect.

oDECREEx

Reaction score
Isn't there "motoprint" that come pre installed on the bionic? I just checked and mines on here... try that?

Scribble

Reaction score
I like the google cloudprint app myself. Don't even have to be connected to the same wifi network.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Isn't there "motoprint" that come pre installed on the bionic? I just checked and mines on here... try that?

Thanks oDECREEx.

I have edited my OP. It is actually MotoPrint that I hate because it NEVER, EVER finds my network printer. I made the mistake of calling it Zumocast originally which is a totally different app altogether.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Unbesorgt. I have always had to launch a small utility like app on my Mac that needed a name and password in order for me to be able to use PrinterShare and this app would normally launch once at each startup of my computer, but as I mentioned, now it won't run for some reason so the Bionic won't connect.

That's weird. I know MotoPrint requires you to have an app installed and running on your PC, but with PrinterShare I've never had to do that. Maybe it's an option that you could change? I remember I had to download a special driver for my printer to my Bionic to get it working (via PrinterShare). After that I could see and add the printer directly from the phone, without going through a PC. However, my printer is plugged directly into my network router, not connected via a PC, so that could make a difference.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I just use Google cloud print, it works well, but there are still some bugs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

txrover

Reaction score
+1 for Printer Share
I use it to print to my wifi enabled printer on my home network.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
That's weird. I know MotoPrint requires you to have an app installed and running on your PC, but with PrinterShare I've never had to do that. Maybe it's an option that you could change? I remember I had to download a special driver for my printer to my Bionic to get it working (via PrinterShare). After that I could see and add the printer directly from the phone, without going through a PC. However, my printer is plugged directly into my network router, not connected via a PC, so that could make a difference.

Unbesorgt,

I too have my printer plugged directly into my router, but again, I am also on a Mac when it sounds like you may be on a PC so maybe that's the difference. Otherwise, I'm not sure at all as to why PrinterShare won't launch anymore, but when it did, I remember ALWAYS having to login first on my Mac to get it to work. That's what I'm hoping to avoid if finding an Android app that will allow me to connect using just the Bionic and a wifi connection (and NO desktop apps/logins).

Thanks also to all others who have responded to this post. Since a few of you seem to really like Cloud printing I may just go ahead and give it a try...again, I am just very concerned about privacy issues so I guess I'll make sure NOT to print any private email messages or bank statements etc. until I find out for sure how secure it is.

mykl376

Reaction score
I've been using HP ePrint Home&Biz. Works fine on my HP printer, which is connected to my network wirelessly.

MotoCrap didn't work, but I installed this and was printing in just a couple of minutes.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
I've been using HP ePrint Home&Biz. Works fine on my HP printer, which is connected to my network wirelessly.

MotoCrap didn't work, but I installed this and was printing in just a couple of minutes.

Hey mykl376,

I tried HP ePrint Home&Biz too, but it couldn't see my networked HP printer either. It seemed to me though that the HP "ePrint" app was only looking for "ePrint" printers, and I know mines is NOT an ePrint model. Is yours? If so, then maybe that's why it worked for you.

nodak102

Reaction score
I use the PrintBot app to my Brother wireless laser. It works very well.

Sent from my ADR6400L