Wireless. N unrecognized.

cbarlow

Reaction score
I have a wireless n network. My d2g doesn't recognize. I just set up an ipad yesterday- no problems. Anyone else have a problem with n?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Have you tried with no security on the router?

zero7404

Reaction score
shouldnt have to downplay encryption just to use the network with the fone. for me the issues ive had with the d1 are also present on the d2: after a few mins the connection goes null ... still connected but no transmissions. i use wpa2 with my dir-655 router in mixed mode handling 2 pc's, a ps3 and an epson workforce 600 wifi printer

sent via wireless device

djp

Reaction score
I think the D2G only works with wireless N on 2.4 ghz. If you've set up your N network to be on the faster 5ghz only, it will not work. I know that the apple airport extreme has a toggle to select between 2.4ghz and 5ghz N networks.

When I set up my D2G, I could see and attempt to connect to the 5ghz n network, but failed to connect, therefore I run the phone on my g network.

Riesj

Reaction score
shouldnt have to downplay encryption just to use the network with the fone. for me the issues ive had with the d1 are also present on the d2: after a few mins the connection goes null ... still connected but no transmissions. i use wpa2 with my dir-655 router in mixed mode handling 2 pc's, a ps3 and an epson workforce 600 wifi printer

sent via wireless device

I have the same router, no problems here, but this router is notorious for "disappearing" sometimes. Try resetting it, worst case: factory-reset and change all settings back to how you want them.

zero7404

Reaction score

sent via wireless device

I have the same router, no problems here, but this router is notorious for "disappearing" sometimes. Try resetting it, worst case: factory-reset and change all settings back to how you want them.

thanks ... don't think that's going to solve my problem in specific, djp may be on to something. unsure if mixed mode is both frequencies emitted or just one, i think it is just one.

but if i change the frequency, maybe that will force me to use a different encryption such as that supported by G ?

i know all my other devices work fine with wpa2. i have a feeling the phone hardware is the issue, as with the droid 1. or it could be android ... not sure.

Riesj

Reaction score
Mixed mode means b/g/n. The DIR-655 only supports the 2.4GHz frequency, so that can't be the reason. Seriously, try resetting it.

zero7404

Reaction score
i pull the power from time to time to reboot it, but havent blown away the connection and started a new one. when firmware is available i normally backup the encryption then restore after firmware is loaded.

i dont use wifi on the phone much anyway ...

question about it tho: when its on do calls/sms/mms go thru the wifi connection (internet tunneling like tmob's hotspot service) or does the cellular radio still remain active?

when the phone says 3g is that just data or voice as well?

sent via wireless device

Khiraji

Reaction score
i pull the power from time to time to reboot it, but havent blown away the connection and started a new one. when firmware is available i normally backup the encryption then restore after firmware is loaded.

i dont use wifi on the phone much anyway ...

question about it tho: when its on do calls/sms/mms go thru the wifi connection (internet tunneling like tmob's hotspot service) or does the cellular radio still remain active?

when the phone says 3g is that just data or voice as well?

sent via wireless device

As far as I know, Verizon doesn't allow anything except data to travel over WiFi. That is, SMS/MMS/voice calls all go over the cell network. There are apps that can call/text over WiFi (Skype, Google Voice, etc) but I don't believe it's possible (yet) to call natively over WiFi. I tried in an area with no cell coverage and WiFi, and my buddy with a blackberry was able to call and leave me a mocking voicemail while I could not.

3G is data, and all other cell traffic is 1X (I think).

jkochchs

Reaction score
has this been solved?

I have a wireless n network. My d2g doesn't recognize. I just set up an ipad yesterday- no problems. Anyone else have a problem with n?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

We're running into the same thing with 3 different Droid 2 global on a corporate N, 2.4 GHz network. The droids connect to the network on B, G, N, but do not get internet connectivity. The droids get fine internet connectivity when the network is run on B or G.

Not sure anymore what it can be but the N network seems to strip out/drop something that is needed later on in the process. All the usual "simple" TCP/IP culprits have been cleared, i.e., there's DNS and DHCP assignments, manual or automatic doesn't seem to make a difference.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure D2G is very unstable on 802.11n. At least with D-Link routers. WiFi tends to either reconnect all the time, or to stall indefinitely.

jkochchs

Reaction score
at least in our case the connectivity to the network (Cisco APs and routers) is not the issue, it is always connected. It just doesn't get to the internet on N. And it always does on B or G, i.e., it seems to be stable/consistent that "something is wrong". Just wish I knew what that something might be......

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Could you try going to the diagnostics menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, then going to Wifi Status? Press Refresh stats, and then press Run ping test.

The information present on that screen might help diagnose the issue or at least tell if it's the same one I am talking about.

robert70

Reaction score
My wife has the d2g and hers works on either setting,

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums