Wireless charging pad

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Do you know what peak temp the battery gets up to with that wireless charger? I stopped using my charger when I saw the temp get up to 114 deg.... I want to preserve my battery longevity for as long as possible.

I wanted to look it up before I replied to this but even 114 doesn't seem TOO high to me.

"Lithium-ion cells with cobalt cathodes (same as the recalled laptop batteries) should never rise above 265°F. At 302°F the cell becomes thermally unstable, a condition that can lead to a thermal runaway in which flaming gases are vented."
-Battery University re: Lithium Ion batteries in general

and

How hot is too hot for your battery Android Forum at DroidForums.net

I understand wanting the battery in a phone that is non removalble to last as long as possible, but in my non-professional opinion, 114 isn't going to destroy it. Not to mention the phone WILL (should) shut off if it ever gets too hot...

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
No. It won't destroy it, but concerned the temp will adversely affect it. I reached out to Motorola support a month or so ago about the safe temp range on a qi charger and they didn't have any spec's to share.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No. It won't destroy it, but concerned the temp will adversely affect it. I reached out to Motorola support a month or so ago about the safe temp range on a qi charger and they didn't have any spec's to share.
The only thing I've noticed is my defender rubber case is getting a little stretched out by the heat

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
All wireless chargers produce much more heat than using a standard charger. 114 is really not that hot. Run Google maps for more than 10 minutes and you'll likely notice similar temps.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's true.. These devices do have a thermal protection built in.. (they shut off).. But the device seems to get warmer when hooked up to the turbo charger..

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pffft... you want a warm phone? Play Ingress on a Razr HD.... no doubt my phone was hitting 114+ daily. :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
On my wireless charger:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-20-09-56-50.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-20-09-56-50.png
    299.3 KB · Views: 377

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
$70 for wireless charger??? Why not just plug it in?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I didn't get the $70 one. Mine was $45. Just as good as the $70 I'll bet. ;)
Not to mention, less wear and tear on the connector. I guess you never had a loose or broken USB port?

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I didn't get the $70 one. Mine was $45. Just as good as the $70 I'll bet. ;)
Not to mention, less wear and tear on the connector. I guess you never had a loose or broken USB port?

No, not yet. Was looking at some on Amazon..Like $15 or so. Hesitant to order; says would arrive in March! China, I figured. May just have to try it to see if it is good or not.
These...
Amazon.com Doinshop TM New Useful Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad Receiver Kit for Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 Cell Phones Accessories

Amazon.com Amjimshop Vovotrade TM 1pc Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad receiver Kit for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 Cell Phones Accessories

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Do you know what peak temp the battery gets up to with that wireless charger? I stopped using my charger when I saw the temp get up to 114 deg.... I want to preserve my battery longevity for as long as possible.

So after some testing the Wireless Charger I the temperature high I've seen is 106 (rounded).
The Turbo charger makes it hit 105.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
So after some testing the Wireless Charger I the temperature high I've seen is 106 (rounded).
The Turbo charger makes it hit 105.
Are you sure that is the battery temp and not the phone temp? It seems quite low for a wireless charger. My battery reached 107.5 on the Turbo charger. I suppose that can be a factor related to ambient room temp.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Battery Temp. No doubt.

Did you click my link in post #38?
Now, if the program isn't accurate, I have no clue. I always thought you had to have root to get this info, but apparently not?!?!