Wireless charging back cover or aftermarket coil instead?

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
I'm going all out for wireless charging on this thing with an Air Dock for my car and a nice samsung wireless charging pad at home. I'm torn with going with the Samsung wireless charging back cover for the phone, or just a 3rd party coil that goes under the current cover.

The only downfall I have read is the phone gets a tiny bit bigger. for me, I dont mind I dont use a case so a little bit fatter of a phone wont matter. But the idea of keeping the phone its nice sleek and thin shape is attractive. With a 3rd party coil I can do that. Also the coil is only $20, the samsung back cover is $30.

Anyone have used one of the coils or the back cover and comment on the size, and/or the differences of the 2 if possible? Basically any sort of feedback. I'm leaning towards the cover right now since the idea of the coil seems a bit sketchy to me.

Thanks for any help!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Personally, I don't trust those coils. I would stick with the Sammy product.

OP
F

Frankiebonez

Reaction score
Yea thats how I'm feeling right now, I feel like my phone would catch on fire or something. Reccomend any good wireless car docks besides the AirDock? Air Dock seems like its the shiznit.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Yea thats how I'm feeling right now, I feel like my phone would catch on fire or something. Reccomend any good wireless car docks besides the AirDock? Air Dock seems like its the shiznit.
Can't really help you there. Never considered one.

tuckertje

Reaction score
I've got the Samsung charging cover and pad, and it works just great. It makes the phone a tiny bit thicker and that makes it more comfortable to handle. Also the camera lens does not stick out anymore, keeping it much safer. I don't use a case but a bumper and Spigen hard glass screen protector.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Those coils are pretty cheap and you'll probably get what you pay for. I'm with Jeffrey, stick with a Samsung covered product.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Tried the Tylt insert on our phones. It created a lot of heat. It also charged the phones 1% in 15 minutes. The official S5 charging back works great. It creates little heat. Charges as expected. We are using the Belkin Air protect from Best Buy. About $30.

Bought the Samsung charging back from Amazon. At the time, no local retailer had it in stock. Also, no retailer could even order it.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
forget the coils!!! I have tried 2 and they get way to hot and charge super slow.
Another thing to consider is you can Google for a Samsung accessory coupon (50% off)
and that lets you buy the wireless back for $14.99
I even was able to order a Diztronic case made for the thicker wireless back for $9.99
Just wanted to give my 2 cents