Wirefly and Amazon phone switching with Verizon?

felkdogg

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a phone at a discounted price from Wirefly or Amazon and then decided to buy a phone at full price and use it instead before the 180 days runs out? I want to know if I would get charged a Wirefly ETF.

The scenario is this, right now I have an OG Droid that is pretty much running on fumes and I am on Month to Month contract with Verizon. I am planning to upgrade my phone and sign a new 2 year contract as the new batch of LTE phones comes out and with the Bionic possibly coming in very soon and at $300 from Verizon I am hoping there will be some sort of deal through an alternate phone store that could save me some money. However, with all the new talk about the Nexus Prime coming out which should be the bees knees I don't really want to wait possibly until Christmas as I have already been waiting for the stinking Bionic since January. So does anyone think I would have any problem buying the Bionic from a retailer, using it for 1 to 3 months, buying the Nexus Prime for Full retail price, then activating the Prime on my account (no plan changes), and then selling the Bionic on ebay or other site to recoup most of the costs back?

It would be nice to be able to get the Bionic in the next few weeks for $200, then buy the Prime when it comes out (assuming it ends up a better phone) for around $600, then selling the Bionic for $500, which would net me the prime for around $300 without having to play the waiting game with a dying OG for an unknown amount of time.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't think you should have a problem. I haven't bought or started a new contract from an authorized dealer, but I have heard that you can change your device regardless of price. Since you're buying the phone at full retail price, it's not different than buying a used phone on craigslist or ebay and activating it to your account.

I've also heard that if you bought from Wirefly or Amazon that a corporate Verizon store can help you as well. I'm not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure after reading many threads about situations such as this.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
why dont you just pick up a mediocre phone like a thunderbolt off ebay or swappa. They can be picked up for about 100 bucks or so to hold you over.

one last note.... no matter what you get or when you get it something better will be right around the corner.