Windows 7 upgrade???

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I just got a Windows 7 upgrade disc from a laptop purchase over the summer. Let me say that I haven't used Vista very much but I really don't like it. In fact I am still using XP Pro on my two home PC's. How much difference is there from 7 to Vista to XP. I'm not gonna bother doing the upgrade if it isn't going to be much different from Vista.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Do it, it's more stable and over 9000 times more awesome. Personally I love it.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you have vista, you can just upgrade without losing any files. but if you have xp, you have to do a clean install. either way, I HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade... 7 is eight shades of awesome. so ready to use and tons of features. and if your laptop didn't shop with an OS disc, you can first make a backup and go back if you don't like 7.. I think you will though, it is fantastic, wantonly when compared to vista.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have it...love it. Try to do a clean install if possible.
iagree.gif

yungo845

Reaction score
Do a clean install backup any files u need also delete the partition its xp is on or else itll take up space putting files in a windows.old folder which could take up gigs.. then download microsoft security essentials and enjoy the best OS microsoft has released

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Agree with everyone else. Windows 7 is an outstanding program. Definitely blows Vista out of the water. Driver support has been clean and all encompassing. Stability has been outstanding. They've finally done it right with this one.

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
And people who use Linux on a regular bases will see this and laugh a lot , then go 'Wow have been enjoying stability for years' .
"Finally got it right" , you have just doomed Winders7 , Microcrap never gets it right , just closer . :icon_ banana:
Android , the next OS to rock the World .

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
And people who use Linux on a regular bases will see this and laugh a lot , then go 'Wow have been enjoying stability for years' .
"Finally got it right" , you have just doomed Winders7 , Microcrap never gets it right , just closer . :icon_ banana:

Not all of us have the time to learn and work with Linux. Nor do we all have the pleasure of it working with all of our applications.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

I HAVE been using Linux for years and couldn't disagree more... your attitude is about as bad (fanboyish) as most Apple/MAC users... Not every needs to learn Linux and even as good as apget and other systems have gotten it's still a PIA to get a COMPLETE system that will meet the needs of the average user w/o serious time investments (i.e. MP3 player support, movie editing, advanced networking, printer networks ect.).

To the OP, YES Win7 is VERY worth the time to install. Actually it's one of the EASIEST OS's you'll ever install. M$ has made the installer nearly perfect (on the 3 systems I've put it on I have not had to do ANYTHING after the install, i.e. no driver updating, no altering configurations, nothing (and to 1linuxfreak this can NOT be said for even the latest Umbuntu release)).

Just, if at all possible do a CLEAN install. Wipe the drive clean. You'll be up and running in no time.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Thanks everyone. Guess I'm gonna give it a go. Nothing really worth backing up as I have everything I need saved to my Seagate portable. I really don't use the laptop all that much. It was an on sale impulse buy.

So I take it I can just go into disc management in Vista and delete the existing partitions then format the drives before the install. That is how I do it when I refresh my home PC's running XP.

lockman

Reaction score
I actually un-Vista'd more than one machine cuz it was such a big, fat bag of suck. 7, on the other hand, is awesome. All the cool upgrades of Vista, plus the stability of a well-sorted-out XP machine.
DO IT!

shademar

Reaction score
I've had Vista, then XP, then Win7 on my little laptop here, and 7 is by far the best. It's postponed me upgrading hardware, which meant I had money to burn on other gadgetry, like my droid. :D