Will the Incredible be getting the Froyo (2.2) update at the end of August?

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
I know Verizon announced that the Moto DroidX and probably the Droid would be updated at the end of the summer with froyo os (Android 2.2). Does anyone know if HTC or Vz are planning the Incredible to be upgraded to froyo as well? I did not see any posts started in the Incredible forum asking this.

Thanks

schoon

Reaction score
I'm not in the know but I would be very surprised if Froyo doesn't come to the Incredible considering it is only a couple of months old and is still very new in the Verizon stable of phones. Even if they discontinue selling it they've got a tremendous number of these handsets out there. That all being said I was not really all that excited about the 2.2 upgrade until I read this link. Particularly the speed increases and the wifi hotspot sound cool to me, however, I'll bet Verizon cripples the WiFI hot spot because they have their own offering for this.

Google unveils 10 huge improvements in 'FroYo,' Android 2.2 | Software News - Betanews

App Autoupdating will also be very cool because the last time I had to update I had 25 apps that needed it and it took like 75 taps to update them all.

Whenever it comes I also hope it doesn't wipe the phone although that's not that big of a deal these days with most of our data being in the cloud.

kmo

Reaction score
It's coming, nobody has the "official" date yet. Sometime in the next half year, haha. I for one feel it's coming this summer over the next couple months. I'm looking forward to it, should keep me very happy for a while.

zMd113

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what Froyo brings to the table because I haven't looked into it, but even if it doesn't come I'll be fine. My Droid is Incredible without it anyway, but I'll be looking forward to playing around with it. ;)

jmhardy

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned, only because I read something elsewhere today saying that the Incredible is already on Verizon's list to eliminate. Am I the only one who is really annoyed that every time I buy a phone (and I buy them frequently) they are obsolete by the time I get them setup?!

kmo

Reaction score
I just copy/pasted this from another thread I posted in, thought is was appropriate here too. "You guys are taking this Android thing to seriously. What most forget is the Android market has been around much less time than our friend the iphone. It is a very fragmented market at this point. Too many devices that don't share the same software/hardware. That means phones will come and go until VZW and others get a flagship device or two that will work with the new LTE/4g network that's coming end of this year/early next year for VZW. That's what all the carriers are gearing up for right now. So we all need to get over the fact that our latest greatest device is all but gone in 6 months. Doesn't make them bad phones. I could care less if my INC gets canned, who cares. It does a great job and holds it's own to any device out there right now. You can't negate all the goodness, reviews, hardware/software that this phone has. All the 3g phones now will be obsolete sometime in the future. It's just the way it is until the Androids/carriers get a phone or two that will last as long as the iphone platform has. Until then enjoy the great phones we have access to and eventually the market will level out and maybe there will be some Android devices that will be there a year from now."

Last edited:

zMd113

Reaction score
I'm not in the know but I would be very surprised if Froyo doesn't come to the Incredible considering it is only a couple of months old and is still very new in the Verizon stable of phones. Even if they discontinue selling it they've got a tremendous number of these handsets out there. That all being said I was not really all that excited about the 2.2 upgrade until I read this link. Particularly the speed increases and the wifi hotspot sound cool to me, however, I'll bet Verizon cripples the WiFI hot spot because they have their own offering for this.

Google unveils 10 huge improvements in 'FroYo,' Android 2.2 | Software News - Betanews

App Autoupdating will also be very cool because the last time I had to update I had 25 apps that needed it and it took like 75 taps to update them all.

Whenever it comes I also hope it doesn't wipe the phone although that's not that big of a deal these days with most of our data being in the cloud.

I just read the story in your link, I guess FroYo has stuff I didn't even know I wanted. Lol

zMd113

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned, only because I read something elsewhere today saying that the Incredible is already on Verizon's list to eliminate. Am I the only one who is really annoyed that every time I buy a phone (and I buy them frequently) they are obsolete by the time I get them setup?!

It's just the SKU being cancelled. For example, it's like the 40gb PS3 being cancelled, it doesn't mean the PS3 itself is going away.

pepatrick

Reaction score
I understand the main reason the Droid Incredible (current SKU) is being discontinued is to introduce the newly designed box that it comes in. Not a big deal...but the Incredible is NOT going away...at least not this year. Now...The Droid X seems pretty cool and it may be the top dog at Verizon now, but I dont think it is good enough to justify replacing the Incredible.