Will the Droid operate without service?

Neko

Reaction score
If someone drops their service with Verizon, can you still use the Wi-Fi? And programs?

What about apps? Well I guess that depends on what apps, like K-9 mail, if the Droid will still work with Wi-Fi will it still push mail? How about FaceBook? How about the Browser? Weather Bug?

Any thoughs?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Not sure about the GPS stuff -- it should work, but I'm not sure how much it depends on cell towers for quick locating.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Agreed, I've also been wondering about this. After all if a person were to just buy a phone why shouldn't the phone be able to function with a wifi connection from home or elsewhere you know make skype for phone calls, or fringe (on ipod touch makes calls over a wifi connection) use textfree for texting (with a wifi connection). Makes me wonder if some day we might see cellphone companies produce their own downfall. Another question let's assume we purchase a phone and decide (I don't think it's possible) not to get a data plan. Would we be able to use a wifi connection and use our own apps after all we aren't using a networks data or cell tower or satillite why shouldn't we?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use my Omnia stand alone gps and Wifi often. The only thing I can't do that I may want to is make calls and pix/ text
Don't know why a Droid would be different.
The bike gps app on it works great and I haven't found an equal on Android

wified from my monolith using a slider keypad

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will have GPS capability, but you will be unable to download maps and such. If you want to use an un/deactivated Droid as a GPS unit, you'll need to buy GPS software that stores the maps on the SD card.

OP
Neko

Neko

Reaction score
You will have GPS capability, but you will be unable to download maps and such. If you want to use an un/deactivated Droid as a GPS unit, you'll need to buy GPS software that stores the maps on the SD card.

Can you "download maps" via PC then transfer to SC card? I wouldnt know where you would get those downloads :icon_eek:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not with any of the stock navigation apps. You'll have to research specifically what nav apps will do this.

kadaj21

Reaction score
I'll find this out later myself. in the middle of a digitizer swap and switched to a env3 for a bit. ^^;;
I'm just having trouble finding a decent screwdriver small enough for the screws.
Just exchanged a 00 screwdriver for a 0000 and its still not small enough >_<

conecraft

Reaction score
I just got a Droid X.. replacing my Droid.. so I switched service from my Droid to my Droid X yesterday.. I just powered up my original Droid (no with no service) and it works with wifi connection 100%.. all apps work too. So .. yes.. the Droids work without service.. as long as you have a wifi connection.