Battery After 15 Hours

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok I've used the phone for about 4 calls today - most under 5 minutes. I have terrible reception in the house - almost no ability to get internet without wi-fi and calls are poor also. Therefore wi-fi has to be on all day.

Today after 15 hours unplugged...

20% left

Voice Calls - 19%
Android OS - 18% (running no home apps)
Wi-Fi - 15%
Cell Standby - 14%
Phone Idle - 10%
K-9 Mail - 8%
Display - 7%
Android System - 4%
Android Core Apps - 2%
akmd2 - 2%

bigthinker

Reaction score
There should be more life left, don't you think Guru? Is this a first time occurance?:motdroidhoriz:

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
No but since I'm up until a ridiculous hour I thought I'd post it.

I think 15 hours is pretty good with it being on all the time in a house that reflects all signals away from the phone.

Figured some people might be interested.

There should be more life left, don't you think Guru? Is this a first time occurance?:motdroidhoriz:

superglen99

Reaction score
15 hours? I'm at roughly 14 hours and mines at 15%. and thats only cause its been idle a lot of the time, it usually would have died about 3 hours ago if i didnt plug it in. hmm....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No but since I'm up until a ridiculous hour I thought I'd post it.

6am is ridiculous?

But that does seem weird....(The battery, not you being up...lol)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I've used the phone for about 4 calls today - most under 5 minutes. I have terrible reception in the house - almost no ability to get internet without wi-fi and calls are poor also. Therefore wi-fi has to be on all day.

20% left

Voice Calls - 19%
Wi-Fi - 15%
Cell Standby - 14%
Phone Idle - 10%
K-9 Mail - 8%
Display - 7%
Android System - 4%
Android Core Apps - 2%
akmd2 - 2%
Sounds about right to me. I didn't realize K-9 mail used the battery so much, not quite sure what the need for that is.

MarkDF

Reaction score

20% left

Voice Calls - 19%
Wi-Fi - 15%
Cell Standby - 14%
Phone Idle - 10%
K-9 Mail - 8%
Display - 7%
Android System - 4%
Android Core Apps - 2%
akmd2 - 2%

Interesting, by the time I get to the end of the day, my display % is usually 40% or so. And this despite my having the brightness turned almost all the way down. What causes my display to use so much of the battery power?

Silver Member
Reaction score

20% left

Voice Calls - 19%
Wi-Fi - 15%
Cell Standby - 14%
Phone Idle - 10%
K-9 Mail - 8%
Display - 7%
Android System - 4%
Android Core Apps - 2%
akmd2 - 2%

Interesting, by the time I get to the end of the day, my display % is usually 40% or so. And this despite my having the brightness turned almost all the way down. What causes my display to use so much of the battery power?
you really don't need to set your display at its dimmest level. i use auto brightness and am able to get 15+ hours of usage, even after 2hrs of video game playing.

15hrs seems low, even for low reception, especially with the screen off, but i guess if the phone is really working hard to find that tower, it could be eating alot of juice.

i wonder if there's a different in hunting for 1x vs. EV...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
that will ALWAYS vary and is not a reflection of anything other than how much you view the homescreen.

I'll use made up numbers for example purposes only. Lets say you just leave the device on the table all day and don't use it at all. The only thing you do with it is unlock it and look at the screen every our for a couple minutes. At the end of the day that percentage will be very high.

I'm not saying not to turn down the brightness though, you definitely should and have.

dro

Reaction score
Your phone is probably constantly searching for better signal and eating up the battery. Looks like you didn't use the thing a whole lot. At the end of the day my display usage is 40-50% (2-4 hours screen time typically over a 12 hr period), and I typically have about 60% battery left after 12 hours of heavy usage (boring job). However, I have great service everywhere I go. My old phone was a lg VX8600 which I could not even make or receive calls in my house. Due to the poor reception, my phone would literally last two hours on a full charge and that's on standby. Got so bad that if I had to have it plugged in to use it. You can turn on "airplane mode" to stop your phone from searching for service that is not there, but of course you would need to turn it back on to make any sort of cell communications.

Unplugged for 11 hours and 28 mins - battery left: 80%
Display - 52% (1hr25mins)
Idle - 14%
Cell standby - 12%
Android system - 8%
Browser - 6%
Android core apps - 3%
TasKiller - 2%
Android OS - 2%
Facebook 2%

No calls during this session (over night) but I will offer this as a comparison. Seems pretty clear to me that your Droid is blowing through the juice quite rapidly.

Last edited:
OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I barely used it that day. K-9 usually it not so high as it was that day because others were so low.

My phone is constantly trying to get a connection out. I don't turn it off because I need my calls. So I'm kinda screwed by Verizon.

The only thing that really matters is that it lasts long enough for me to use it and I work at home next to a docking station.

But for those having battery issues - the main issue may be your reception - other than the screen that's the second most juice drinker.

Your phone is probably constantly searching for better signal and eating up the battery. Looks like you didn't use the thing a whole lot. At the end of the day my display usage is 40-50% (2-4 hours screen time typically over a 12 hr period), and I typically have about 60% battery left after 12 hours of heavy usage (boring job). However, I have great service everywhere I go. My old phone was a lg VX8600 which I could not even make or receive calls in my house. Due to the poor reception, my phone would literally last two hours on a full charge and that's on standby. Got so bad that if I had to have it plugged in to use it. You can turn on "airplane mode" to stop your phone from searching for service that is not there, but of course you would need to turn it back on to make any sort of cell communications.

Unplugged for 11 hours and 28 mins - battery left: 80%
Display - 52% (1hr25mins)
Idle - 14%
Cell standby - 12%
Android system - 8%
Browser - 6%
Android core apps - 3%
TasKiller - 2%
Android OS - 2%
Facebook 2%

No calls during this session (over night) but I will offer this as a comparison. Seems pretty clear to me that your Droid is blowing through the juice quite rapidly.