Will the Droid have the capability to

Reaction score
will the droid have what i believe to be the accelerometer in the iphone and storm/storm2? Like will there be games that can be played the way you hold the droid? Or will it all be touch screen and buttons?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Droid does have an accelerometer that is suppose to be real responsive "without being too twitchy"

The pull out keyboard also features a d-pad, which may work very well for mobile gaming.

btw.. Welcome to the site!

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks, glad to be here. so what you are saying is that it will have those capabilities my friends brag about on their iphone plus the keyboard dpad functional.

I have never used an android, been using bb for last 2 years. But these phones with their processors look amazing with endless possibilities.

I guess another question for all you who have used these phones before is that I see a difference in UI depending on the manufacturer of the phone. I figured it would be a little more customizable in that you should be able to use any UI, whichever you like the best. Is this not the case, or is there a way to get it there. Like will the htc sense UI work on the droid?

And lastly, is it worth getting the droid, or should i hold out another quarter and see what other android phones come out for verizon. in other words, any good rumors worth holding out for?

TarzanMan

Reaction score
I guess another question for all you who have used these phones before is that I see a difference in UI depending on the manufacturer of the phone. I figured it would be a little more customizable in that you should be able to use any UI, whichever you like the best. Is this not the case, or is there a way to get it there. Like will the htc sense UI work on the droid?

It is up to the manufacturer to decide which Android license to use with their phone. Devices like the G1, MyTouch and Droid are 'Google experience' devices. Officially, these phones are only supposed to run standard the Android OS.

Devices like the Cliq (motorola), or Hero (htc) license the back-end and can run Android with whatever additions or modifications the manufacturers design for it.

If hackers find a way to 'root' the phone (meaning, how to gain unrestricted access to the phone functions), then they will have the ability to load customized ROMs as operating systems on the phone. This is already done with other Android phones.

The problem is that a custom ROM has to be tweaked before it can run properly on different hardware, otherwise it will be slow and many programs just won't work (or will freeze up)

And lastly, is it worth getting the droid, or should i hold out another quarter and see what other android phones come out for verizon. in other words, any good rumors worth holding out for?
There is always something better coming out. If you aren't sure, wait a bit and try one out before you decide.