Will rooted droid still get Verison updates?

jsmuli2

Reaction score
This may have been answered already but I just want to get some clarity.

Here's my situation:
- I rooted my Moto Droid but couldn't find a ROM that worked properly/that I Liked*.
- I restored my Droid back to the way it was when it was first rooted via SPRecovery. so now it's back to the regular Stock 2.1 but still rooted.

My question is, will the official Froyo update be pushed to my rooted Droid when that time comes?

If so - cool

If not - is there anything I can do to get the official Froyo pushed to my phone without unrooting it?

*Reason why I don't like any of the ROMs => LauncherPro.

xliderider

Reaction score
You can load the FRF84b froyo rom that was released recently. It is supposedly the same rom as the "official" OTA that will be released. It is rooted.

It doesn't use Launcher Pro as the default launcher.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Short answer is yes. The rom most likely still has OTA enabled, and it will kill your root when it is installed. My suggestion is to watch out over the forums for the rooted version of the official froyo release in the next few weeks.

The Bugless Beast 0.4 rom works well and seems to be improved from the new froyo release, try giving that a shot if you have time.

Reaction score
First off, how does launcherpro affect whether or not you use custom roms? launcherpro is just a home replacement.

Secondly, the most recent FRF84b released is froyo just better. i would recommend getting pete's bugless beast V0.4 which is FRF84b and use launcherpro with it. thats what im using except i themed it with 928droids black glass theme which makes it look even better :)

OP
J

jsmuli2

Reaction score
First off, how does launcherpro affect whether or not you use custom roms? launcherpro is just a home replacement.

Secondly, the most recent FRF84b released is froyo just better. i would recommend getting pete's bugless beast V0.4 which is FRF84b and use launcherpro with it. thats what im using except i themed it with 928droids black glass theme which makes it look even better :)

I tried the bugless beast but I wasn't able to use ROM manager to recover properly and SPRecovery wasn't working at all and apparently that's due to bugless beast.

I know Launcherpro is just a home replacement, but it gave me exactly what I needed as far as UI goes.

xliderider

Reaction score

I tried the bugless beast but I wasn't able to use ROM manager to recover properly and SPRecovery wasn't working at all and apparently that's due to bugless beast.

I know Launcherpro is just a home replacement, but it gave me exactly what I needed as far as UI goes.

No. The problems you had with recovery (CWM and SPR) were due to Rom Manager not flashing the recoveries properly, not Bugless Beast. There have been a lot of discussion about it lately.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score

bje1982

Reaction score

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. The rom most likely still has OTA enabled, and it will kill your root when it is installed. My suggestion is to watch out over the forums for the rooted version of the official froyo release in the next few weeks.

The Bugless Beast 0.4 rom works well and seems to be improved from the new froyo release, try giving that a shot if you have time.

The rooted version of the official Froyo arrived day before yesterday. Just an FYI.;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
to the OP: the ota will probably fail to install. Depending on the sprecovery image you have, it will fail the checks so the ota will not be allowed to install. We will know more for sure in August.

NachtDraegan

Reaction score
n00b question

ok i'm relatively new to the rooting process and roms, i've got bbv1.1 and i don't understand about the ota update to 2.2. will the ota update install an replace my rom if i want it to or will it fail and i'll have to get another rom?

Raven1r44

Reaction score

once you dl rom manager and flash CWM, you need to flash over it with sprecovery and then flash back to CWM

sorry if this was already stated in this thread!