rooted, but still getting update notification

JoeeDB

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone back in mid january I think. I haven't done much with it since late february or so I think. Just this morning I received the notification to update to 2.1? I thought if you were rooted you wouldn't get this notification? I checked and I am still able to do adb commands so I know I'm still rooted. Am I supposed to be getting this notification or what? Its annoying, I don't want to accidently update! Is there a way to turn it off? It pops up every 15 minutes or so when I go to use my phone.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Rooting doesn't do anything except give you "permissions" to the system files. To block the OTA update you need to do other things. A certificate file can be renamed I believe, though I can't tell you which one. Otherwise, installing a custom ROM that blocks the OTA is an option.

Skaggz

Reaction score
Its not rooting or the ROM that blocks the update.

If you're using a custom revovery image such as SPRecovery it blocks the update, go ahead and allow the update. The phone will shut off and boot into recovery. The custom recovery image will block the installation. Just push the camera button to reboot (SPRecovery).

Some people have renamed the otacerts.zip file, but I've seen mixed results.

Last edited:

Jer

Reaction score
After a few days of getting the pop-up and selecting 'Not at this time' I accidentally hit the button that allows the update. The phone powered down and I yanked the battery quickly just as the little white Motorola M came up and waited a few minutes before putting it back. Upon booting everything is fine and now I don't get that pesky notification every so often. I wouldn't say I recommend this as it could be dangerous but seemed to work for me even though it was unintentional.